beeswax polish on brick floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolW

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Has anyone tried beeswax / turpentine polish on an unsealed brick (ie pamment) floor? The surface isn't as smooth as quarry tiles. I don't want to put a plastic-type sealant on as it's laid on sand so needs to breathe.

Has anyone tried beeswax / turpentine polish on an unsealed brick (ie pamment) floor? The surface isn't as smooth as quarry tiles. I don't want to put a plastic-type sealant on as it's laid on sand so needs to breathe.

It is better to ask from professional floorman.

That I know that as a soft beewax gathers dirt, and soon wax is black..

Last edited:

What's below the sand?
Are there any gaps between the bricks?
How old is the building?
Is there a damp proof membrane?

If it's an old building and you make the floor waterproof, you will be transferring the damp (that would normally rise through the floor) into the walls.
Try a test area first & cover across the treated & untreated area with newspaper & a sheet of polythene on top. Check to see if the untreated area makes the paper damp.

Thank you MartinL - it's late Victorian, no dpc. Prospective trapping of damp by any covering is our primary concern, specially as it shows some sort of mineral staining - chalky white marks. I expect that at best there would be old rubble and then earth beneath the sand. Carol W

I expect that at best there would be old rubble and then earth beneath the sand. Carol W

You'll be lucky to have anything more than 1/2" of ash ontop of clay!

It's most likely that it has been polished in the past, "Cardinal Red" comes to mind.

Are you in SPAB?
https://www.spab.org.uk/learning/about-our-courses
Look it up, they will offer some good advice, (how to clean the surface)
+ warn you off the idiot builders with their damp proofing solutions!

Last edited:
Linseed oil/paint would likely do the job.

So there is a heat wave.... just bear with me and use some imagination...

From your gorgeous kitchen your friends move through to the very expensive lounge carpet....

I personally would just not do it. Use beeswax that is though your wine in the lounge was gorgeous.... hic..

PH

Back