Beeswax fabric wraps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
Has anyone made beeswax fabric wraps to sell at a farmers market? I know I may get shot down here - do you have to prove your wax is food safe, given that we use chemicals in our fight against Varroa and wax moth, and these wraps are used around food (not meat)?

Please share your experience.

Many Thanks
PS my local Environmental Health Deartment suggested I contact Trading Standards

Pass !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone made beeswax fabric wraps to sell at a farmers market? I know I may get shot down here - do you have to prove your wax is food safe, given that we use chemicals in our fight against Varroa and wax moth, and these wraps are used around food (not meat)?

Please share your experience.

Many Thanks
PS my local Environmental Health Deartment suggested I contact Trading Standards

I am probably stating the obvious - you will need to find out the legal definition and requirements of "food safe" and as for proof I suspect you will need a scientific method which can be repeatedly used to test your product. Maybe too much fuss for a "cottage industry", unless you have bigger plans ?

I am probably stating the obvious - you will need to find out the legal definition and requirements of "food safe" and as for proof I suspect you will need a scientific method which can be repeatedly used to test your product. Maybe too much fuss for a "cottage industry", unless you have bigger plans ?

Yep, that was my fear!

I just sell a few candles and jars of honey at a local farmers market. Definitely not worth the hassle and expense of scientific testing etc.

I saw these wraps on the internet and first thought was - clever idea - second thought was - not very hygienic after first use if you can only wipe clean with lukewarm water - third thought was - tinfoil does the same, can be properly washed in hot water and detergent, and can be recycled when it becomes too crinkled and torn to re-use.

Last thought was - look at all the sprays and wipes advertised for killing bacteria in the kitchen and on work surfaces, Joe Public must be paranoid about germs, and have no faith in good old-fashioned soap and hot water. Wax coated cloth food covers will never be more than a passing brief fad.

My Gran always said only dirty people need to wash!

It was Moses who said so in desert.
But who heck does his own wrapping paper from beewax.

- greese paper is not meant to use in baking

- baking paper stands 250 C.

- flash point of bee wax is 200 C.

Last edited:

But who heck does his own wrapping paper from beewax.

- greese paper is not meant to use in baking

- baking paper stands 250 C.

- flash point of bee wax is 200 C.

No! It’s meant as an alternative to plastic wraps like cling film or plastic bags. You wrap your sandwiches in it, or cover a bowl with food meant for the fridge. Definitely not the oven!

Wife made them for home use and is pretty happy with them.

At the risk of giving my Dragons Den idea away I thought it might be easier to make 'create your own wrap' kits. Beeswax, fancy cloth cut to size, instructions. Only thing is they are a bit messy to make and you need pans/trays for wax, which non-beers might not want to buy.

Yes I've made them.
Square of cotton fabric, the finer the better. Cut edges with pinking shears.
Put cloth on a piece of greaseproof paper, on a baking sheet.
Spread over about 25gm grated beeswax
Put the baking sheet in the oven, 5 mins at 150C.
When wax is melted, remove baking sheet from oven then, using an old paint brush, spread molten wax all over cloth. Remove cloth from greaseproof paper (or it sticks!) and hold the cloth until the wax has hardened. Fold, label and sell.

Sounds easy - but grating beeswax is hard work.

I didn't worry about wax contaminants.

Last edited:
Where have you been lately, Ian? Haven't you heard - God's creatures are suffocating in plastic.

True. I must bring that up with him next time we have a chat

True. I must bring that up with him next time we have a chat

Could you also ask Him to sort this pathetic governments education system and ludicrous new exam system out?
I expect St Peter already has a queue of young people who have been convinced they are failures due to the bloody ridiculous and skewed exam marking system!

Yeghes da

Could you also ask Him to sort this pathetic governments education system and ludicrous new exam system out?

I expect St Peter already has a queue of young people who have been convinced they are failures due to the bloody ridiculous and skewed exam marking system!

Yeghes da

Who the 86% who passed ?
Your having a laugh !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back