Bees refuse syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoutBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
The bees in one of my hives has refused syrup and the hive is light, is the queen dead?
Any ideas?

Dont know where you are, but it may be too cold for the bees to process the syrup as they need to take the sugar and "invert" it so that then can either store or consume it immediately.

Secondly have you flavoured it with some honey? I've been told that pure sugar syrup has no scent for the bees and needs a small amount of honey added to encourage them to feed on it.

As Simon has said, it might be too cold for them to process; 6C here. Thymolated syrup is good for this if not too cold, as they can smell it and helps prevent if fermenting. I would recomend giving them fondant to keep them going, if you have other hives don't add anything to the fondant as you may get robbing.

It is propably too cold. Bees have decided to start winter sleep.

One way is force them to handle syrup.

Pour the syrup into combs and then put combs under the wintering box. Bees start to move upsratirs the food. Pour so long that cells will be filled and bubles come out.

Shut the mesh floor if you have.

Check that some sugar hasnt crystallised out in the bottom of the feeder as this can stop the bees having access to the liquid syrup. We had this problem and thought the bees were not taking feed when in reality they couldnt get at it. Once cleared they started to feed.
Alan

Bees not taking syrup

Thanks for the advice, I have fed another hive 3 buckets of syrup, every time I found a full bucket still on this hive I removed it and fed to the other colony.
Didn't know whether I should unite them with the newspaper method or not.
First time this has happened!

It is getting a bit cold for syrup now - some of my hives are taking syrup and others aren't interested although I know they have plenty of room for stores so that could explain why some of yours are feeding and some aren't - it depends on the bees.
Just give them fondant now and hope for the best - it's a bit late for combining.
Have ypu thought they may be nosemic - that sometimes shows as a reluctance to feed?

Didn't know whether I should unite them with the newspaper method or not.
First time this has happened!

This isn't really the time of year to be doing this. Follow advice re feeding fondant if needed and wait until Spring before combining anything. If you are not SURE they are queenless then it would be a foolish plan. You should be putting your feet up, having a rest and reading all of those lovely bee books rather than fiddling about combining.
Cazza

Thanks for all the advice. I shall pour some syrup into the combs with an old washing up liquid bottle (well washed) and give them fondant and hope for the best

It's November! Too late for syrup or messing about with them.

Leave the bees alone until Spring. Just fondant over the feed hole (porter bee escape removed). Oxalic Acid if required at the end of December. That's all you need to do.

Hebeegeebee, among others has got it about right.

One thing to consider is the size of the colony.

Possibly too late to consider transfering to a nuc (preferably poly) if very undersized, but the empty outer frames could be replaced with divider(s) with Kingspan (or similar) for insulation behind it/them. But it is only early November so we may get some decent weather yet... says he, not really believing it on the evidence of the past few months...

Latest posts

Back