Bees on the BBC website

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iball

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I found this report today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-12831084.

I like the paragraph that reads

In the UK, many beekeepers have reported the loss of hives due to low temperatures during the winter.

I'm sure that Finman would like to discuss low temperatures, but who are these beekeepers?

Shouldn't that paragraph read 'In the UK, many beekeepers have reported the loss of hives due to poor management during the winter.'

Just an opinion.

Ian

......have reported the loss of hives due to poor management during the winter.

If anyone's managing hives during Winter then they're bringing problems upon themselves!

To small colonies overwintering would of been better.

I have seen a few members hives this spring that have died out because the small number of bees were to cold to move frames to find stores..

Okay perhaps that should read in the run up to winter.

The thing is that us new bee keepers are told repeatedly that cold doesn't kill bees and then we read that "many beekeepers have reported the loss of hives due to low temperatures"

Whatever the reason of their demise, it's a shame.

Ian

They mention Great Spotted Woodpeckers being on the increase, but I thought it was Green Woodpeckers that were the problem. Are Great Spotted Woodpeckers a problem for bees too?

David Hards Chairman South Clwyd Beekeepers was on Radio Wales today but not available on iplayer (yet)!

Are all birds a problem for beekeepers? I have read much about the woodpecker and it's hive destroying ways but, is there anything else to worry about? My hive will bee in my back garden and my neighbours feed the birds all year round and the hive will bee within 10' of their feeders. (I must admit I have never seen a woodpecker around here or heard one either)

Are all birds a problem for beekeepers? I have read much about the woodpecker and it's hive destroying ways but, is there anything else to worry about? My hive will bee in my back garden and my neighbours feed the birds all year round and the hive will bee within 10' of their feeders. (I must admit I have never seen a woodpecker around here or heard one either)

only the bird lime on the zinc roof

i have had birds under the mesh floor pulling dead bees out, pied wagtail, but not killing live bees, infact the bees clear the dead from infront of the hive

Have had cheeky great tits move on to taking live bees from having cleaned up some carcasses the undertaker bees had chucked out.
Don't know if I should feed the birds in another part of the garden to satisfy their appetites or stop feeding them so that they don't come around.

Back