Bees not taking winter feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think it's nosema and sorry for the confusion it's the abdomens that you use, the other bits and pieces are great for looking under the microscope

Needs to be emphasised that syrup has no smell (unlike flowers' nectar) and thus syrup doesn't itself attract the bees.

Never knew that and would explain this year I mixed three batches of 15kg's of sugar into syrup within eight feet of a busy hive and not one bee showed any interest despite been surrounded by foraging bees.

I just stuck my nose in a container of ambrosia and there is a definite smell, a bit like cakes or biscuits that have just come out of the oven, it's got me all hungry now !!! :hairpull:

Hi. I put peppermint essence in ... Didn't work anyway!!

... like a shot. 3lbs sugar syrup in contact feeder....

If you put a few drops of scented oil in a *contact* feeder, isn't the oil going to float, and therefore be completely cut off from the bees? So they can't tell its there?

So how many drops do I need for 15 tonne of feed

The amount is not related to the amount of feed, shirley? Once they have found the feed it is no longer necessary. Never tried peppermint and don't intend to either. Interesting if Trading Standards found pepermint flavoured honey...

I've never found the need to add an 'attractant' to syrup .....and also wonder who suggested the OP use a Contact Feeder - I thought they were history once the cheap moulded plastic Rapid Feeders were available.

I thought....

... my feet were out of bed ... so I got out and tucked them in again.:sorry:

Nothing wrong with small contact feeders. There is a time and a place for them ... but not autumn feeding. It is years since I used a big one on a hive ... too much risk of leakage, either by accident or by large changes in temperature.

Nor do they need any special attractant if they are filled with honey!

I didn't realise there was anything wrong with contact feeders. They are all I've got and have been using successfully since I started this hobby 4 yrs ago ( well- it was successful until this one hive this year!! ).
I will quote where I got the peppermint advice from when I have chance to look it up.
Also - will check bees tomorrow and see if they have taken any syrup.
Nuala x

I use contact feeders, the only downside I have found is that you can't top them up in place although I have never looked for the leaking due to heat expansion.

I didn't realise there was anything wrong with contact feeders. They are all I've got and have been using successfully since I started this hobby 4 yrs ago ( well- it was successful until this one hive this year!! ).
I will quote where I got the peppermint advice from when I have chance to look it up.
Also - will check bees tomorrow and see if they have taken any syrup.
Nuala x

The best way to test a contact feeder is to insert the inspection tray in the floor and if on your next visit it is sticky then you have a good indication if they are dripping or not.

I started with contact feeders and hardly ever use them now but I think they are a good feeder in the right situation especially the homemade jar type.

I dont know either!!!

Anyway what type of feeder/s do you use? please dont say a teaspoon:icon_204-2:

I was assuming he didn't put all 15 tonne on one hive. You'd need quite a big super on top to cover that.

whats that suppose to mean

I was congratulating you either on calculating that 15 tonnes = 15000kg and that you feed sugar to your bees, or that you feed 15 tonnes of sugar to your bees, I'm not sure either ;

"you are correct 15 tonne is 15000 kg i feed sugar to my bees"

~ 18.75kg / colony if my maths is right, considerably more than I would feed.

Latest posts

Back