Bees not taking syrup feed at all

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can think of is that the crown board and roof stink of apiguard and that maybe that is putting them off coming up to feed. the crown board and roof are of course on top of the feeder.

thanks.

I would think where you have the apiguard is a big part of the problem. A) yes, you're right, the feeder will stink of it, but also B) it's not actually reaching your bees- it need to be right in with them. Apiguard sittting on brood frames (remove QE- it's not doing anything), then something to create airspace around the apiguard (an eke or an empty super), then the crownboard, then the feeder, then the roof. Also- check if they need feeding, there are suggestions that this can distract them from dealing with the apiguard.

http://www.vita-europe.com/documents/22214ApiguardVita4pEng.pdf

Can I ask why, with a Miller feeder (or Ashworth), some advise to locate it above the crownboard. I thought with this type of feeder the crownboard went on top, then roof. if you were using a rapid or contact feeder then the crownboard would go underneath with suitable feeding holes opened.

Is this not the case, or is it one of those personal choice things?

Thanks
Simon

I think the confusion here was the possibility of the feeder being put flat on the frame bars without a rim to give beespace.

Providing the feeder has a rim it goes directly on the frame bars, the crown board then goes on top (I put a square of perspex on top of the feeder first so I can check progress without releasing the bees.)

Hope this helps.

I think the confusion here was the possibility of the feeder being put flat on the frame bars without a rim to give beespace.

Providing the feeder has a rim it goes directly on the frame bars, the crown board then goes on top (I put a square of perspex on top of the feeder first so I can check progress without releasing the bees.)

Hope this helps.
:iagree:
sorry if I confused anybody...I was just worried about there not being a beespace between the frames and the feeder, since it is a National...

Kid,
----Many thanks for explaining how you finished up with that jumbo feeder, I also make all my own equipment (including a Rowse-Miller feeder that holds 4kg) but your 15kg is just too big as the syrup will soon have started to crystallise at the edges.

I suggest you bin it (together with the syrup) and start feeding with a bog standard plastic contact feeder on top of the hole in your cover board, we're in for a week or so of warm weather so you should be able to give enough. The advantage of not putting it on top of the frames is that you can refill it without having to smoke and generally disturb the bees.

Regards, Richard

MJBee etc...imho the confusion was because nobody picked 'Kid' up on his 15kg feeder!

using the 2 sugar:1 water recipe, in my hands this produces 8 litres syrup for every 6kg sugar. That suggests that the 15kg model discussed takes around 20 litres or around 4.5 gallons.

drstitson,

... but surely you agree that a 'bathtub' full of over 3 gallons of syrup is impractical as a top feeder?

Richard

Can I ask why, with a Miller feeder (or Ashworth), some advise to locate it above the crownboard. I thought with this type of feeder the crownboard went on top, then roof. if you were using a rapid or contact feeder then the crownboard would go underneath with suitable feeding holes opened.

Is this not the case, or is it one of those personal choice things?

Thanks
Simon

Are you sure some advocate that? Quite barmy if so. Must go above BB/Supers etc but BELOW CB.

Thanks for all the replies.

My big feeder seems to have caused some controversy!! I actually took some proper measurements today and in reality the volume is more like 12 litres I think. I didn't account for the bee space between the two chambers. It has worked well with my other colony though and I had no problems at all with it.

As for why the bees weren't taking the feed... I think I may have cracked it… I dribbled some syrup into the space between the two chambers in the feeder and watched the bees… they started to drink it and a few tried to climb up the wall to follow the syrup up… and kept slipping off!!

I sanded the feeder all over when I built it and varnished the whole thing inside with yacht varnish and it’s just too slippy for them to get a grip! Not quite sure how the other bees managed it but they clearly did a there was no way they could have eaten all the syrup!! I have put in wood “ladders” for them to climb up and down and today they were up there drinking the syrup!! :)

Riviera Kid
You can add a little sand to the varnish where you want the bees to climb. This is then a rough enough surface for their feet to get a grip.

thanks for the sand suggestion. I have got some mesh that I will glue in the feeder so that they can climb up ok. I i popped a little bit in today and it seemed to work.

Latest posts

Back