Bees netsing in my wall cavity

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beesinmyhouse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
This account may be short lived; I'm only here for advice on this one subject.

I have bees netsing in my cavity wall. Their seem to be 8 - 10 leaving or entering per minute, of one of the two varieties pictured. Firstly, could anyone guess at how large the colony may be, and if there is any concern of damage to the property? Nobody in my houshold is allergic to bees, and I personally have no problem with them; I just don't want to find out that there's potential for damage to my home.

Thanks for your assistance :)

EDIT: Is there a way to donate without setting up a recurring subscription?

Last edited:
Bumble Bees, a few hundred max, seal up hole in the winter when they have gone

Thanks for your prompt reply :) Is there any concern regarding carcasses left in the cavity? I have visions of ants moving in and making my life 10 times worse...

EDIT: Just re-read what you said about them being "gone"; I take it that you mean they will abandon the colony after summer?

The carcasses dry up and eventually become dust..

In the autumn the bees die out, the queen goes away and hibernates and makes a new nest in the spring - houses with broken soffits are often favourites.

(I am a swarm collector and have seen dozens of nests like that).

Nice photos: make commenting much easier ..:paparazzi:

Awesome. Thanks for your input, folks.

Any idea on the second query about donating?

It is not recurrent and you get a nice plaque like mine (if you're on a browser) for I can't remember how long. I'm sure it would be much appreciated. Come back any time anyway.

Gone by Autumn, leave alone if at all possible. Visit Bumblebee conservation trust website for more info.

As per everyone else. They are Bumbles. Probably around 150-200 bees max and they are quite docile and will rarely sting. They wont cause any damage and wont cause an ant problem. You could literally stand a foot away from the entrance and they wont bother you (although as with ANY wild animal, there are always exceptions).

Enjoy them, they are beautiful lovely creatures and they will be gone in Sept/Oct. People like us put up bee boxes to try and entice them onto our properties and then people like you get them without any effort.....I'm so jealous....lol

They will / are causing absolutely no damage. Their nest is small and will be empty generally by mid to late Summer (End of August).

As per the others, leave them alone and you will have no problems.

I think the majority of the workers will, as per most bee species, die outside of the nest and the old queen will be one of the few bees left in the nest to die at the end of the nest cycle.

I have a bumblebees nest in a bird nesting box and have already noticed the bee traffic has started to decrease.

Latest posts

Back