Bees more defensive at a start of a flow?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNir

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-15
Flow just started here the last week or so.

Noticed the bees are more defensive around the apiary. This is distinctly during the last week, and quite match the start of the flow.

Couple hives I can’t stand couple meters away without some guards express interest with intent, going for it...

Anyone else noticed/experienced something similar?

Thanks.

Yep, my usually polite hives were foul today, following, stinging, just b** rude. There had better be a load of honey soon!

I'll let you know on Sunday after shaking bees off frames to squash cells. I have one colony with suspect bees buzzing but not pinging. A supersedure queen and won't be around much longer.

Flow just started here the last week or so.

Noticed the bees are more defensive around the apiary. This is distinctly during the last week, and quite match the start of the flow.

Couple hives I can’t stand couple meters away without some guards express interest with intent, going for it...

Anyone else noticed/experienced something similar?

Thanks.
Last week bees very calm and no issues. Today they were extremely defensive with many attacking from two hives. Decided to leave alone and close them up. There is a good nectar flow on at the moment so presumably they were defending the stores.

Unless it’s oil seed I find them well behaved whilst a flow is on. It’s when it’s over they normally get grumpy.

I’ve had a single determined bee follow me after Demaree intrusion on two occasions this week, the first kept at me much to the delight of my wife, until it attacked her hair bobble. The next time I was by myself and just kept my suit on, I don’t have enough hair for a bobble these days.
Unusual for one to hang around for more than a couple of minutes. These were still at it five minutes later.

Courty

My personal experience is that my colonies are calm as usual.

I usually inspect late morning, and a lot of bees are out foraging. Many in the hive will be younger house bees, some of these will not yet be able to sting. So no experience of this to date.

No doubt it will all change next week!!!!

I've had two incidents so far, one chased and stung me on the back of my head, a second chased but was too slow! They were both a good distance from the hives. I inspected today and all bees were good as gold.
Possible interlopers....?

Two of mine (largest and smallest) were absolutely fine today, the two middle ones not so much! Decided to close them up and come back another day.

I think they were the ones bringing in the most nectar right now, so maybe you're right.

At least my days are more flexible now that I'm working from home.

Latest posts

Back