Bees in schools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First place I looked after bees. Quite a while ago. That was the local primary school behind my house. They had bee hives there for the kids to look after. 30+ years ago.

my Dad used to help one of his school teachers with the hives at school during WW2, he used to talk a lot about the bees at school.

its all his fault.

My father taiught rural studies just before and after WW2 .. he kept bees at the school as well as at his allotment. I think rural studies in secondary schools must have been discontinued in the early 1950's as he was teaching chemistry by the time I remember .. still kept bees on the allotment though.

It's a pity it's taken nigh on 70 years for schools to realise the real benefits of growing, gardening and husbandry in the school curriculum. As beekeepers (and seeing the age of some of us !) there is a real need to encourage our future beekeepers - we may have to wait a few years until they are in a position to keep bees themselves but the seeds are hopefully being sown ...

We had bees when I was at school in the early 1970's. That's where I first got interested in keeping them, although it was a great many years later when I finally got my own. I've never forgotten the excitement I felt when I first saw into the hive. It was not a popular subject and I think the lack of any protective clothing might have had something to do with it. Imagine the upset it would cause if children were expected to get near a hive without a suit or gloves on nowadays.

My father taiught rural studies just before and after WW2 .. he kept bees at the school as well as at his allotment. I think rural studies in secondary schools must have been discontinued in the early 1950's as he was teaching chemistry by the time I remember .. still kept bees on the allotment though.

It's a pity it's taken nigh on 70 years for schools to realise the real benefits of growing, gardening and husbandry in the school curriculum. As beekeepers (and seeing the age of some of us !) there is a real need to encourage our future beekeepers - we may have to wait a few years until they are in a position to keep bees themselves but the seeds are hopefully being sown ...

I am sorry to tell you that it is very unusual for schools to have bees - does not occur very often and when it does it is driven by a teacher with limited engagement by the students (in my experience). So not many newcomer coming through from this.

After becoming a beekeeper, I have suggested that the school I work at should have a couple of hives in the school allotment. The gardener is very interested and is going to suggest it to the governors. He even suggested there could be some funding toward the equipment costs.

B33K33P3R.

I am sorry to tell you that it is very unusual for schools to have bees - does not occur very often and when it does it is driven by a teacher with limited engagement by the students (in my experience). So not many newcomer coming through from this.

Give it time... great oaks from small acorns grow.

We had a very inspirational talk from the deputy head teacher of a London school who had set up beekeeping in their school allotment (not a beekeeper on the staff !) and they had lots of help from the local BKA. I recognise it's going to be a slow burn ... but there are now lots of schools who have gardens and it's not a big step to hens and bees ....

Latest posts

Back