Bees in roof any tips for removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've extracted colonies in a similar method many times but the problem with roofs and tile hanging is that is almost impossible to reduce the exits to one.

And I think it is more than likely the case here as they enter through and older half rotten wooden fascia. I will look to see if I can fill the lot with expanding foam and drill a hole through the fascia that could be used as an entrance. If I can't do that, I will suggest he pays someone to do it the messy and painful way.

The other thing your mate needs to be aware of is that right now all that wax and honey in his roof is defended to the death by the bees. As soon as you remove the bees, if you or he doesn't ensure full removal of the comb, well you've just left a free food source for every living thing in the area that can get to it. Mice, rats, birds, flies etc. you get the picture.

The other thing your mate needs to be aware of is that right now all that wax and honey in his roof is defended to the death by the bees. As soon as you remove the bees, if you or he doesn't ensure full removal of the comb, well you've just left a free food source for every living thing in the area that can get to it. Mice, rats, birds, flies etc. you get the picture.
I've never noticed rodents or flies going for honey in a big way. But honeybees will come from miles around, and lick it it clean in a day. Dead brood will dry up. Mice might find the pollen in the winter, but mice will live in your house if they can anyway.
I think the main issue with leaving honey in a closed space is leakage leading to staining. Not a huge issue, but why leave it behind anyway - it's free honey!

Well, gonna have a look this weekend and will report on the scale of the challenge.....if I ever take it on!
Aware that the full nest has to be removed but if I can't seal access properly to ensure no new swarm settles in, this may be a pointless task

I have done loads of roof cut outs been a roofer comes in handy . Its hard work and you gotta leave the roof weatherproof and finished correctly.. To be honest i think if you're not a roofer or someone with hight insurance you have no business been up there you could get seriously hurt or worse all for the sake of free bees . Just set up a swarm trap

I have done loads of roof cut outs been a roofer comes in handy . Its hard work and you gotta leave the roof weatherproof and finished correctly.. To be honest i think if you're not a roofer or someone with hight insurance you have no business been up there you could get seriously hurt or worse all for the sake of free bees . Just set up a swarm trap
A swarm trap won't get rid of the colony unfortunately 😏

Just joined the UK Bee Removers FB group this week - very interesting. Some of the roof nests are huge ! The removers take things apart but get scaffolders, builders and roofers as needed unless they themselves have the skills required.
I turned down the offer of a chimney swarm this week. The chap has since been quoted £7K

Last edited:
Just joined the UK Bee Removers FB group this week - very interesting. Some of the roof nests are huge ! The removers take things apart but get scaffolders, builders and roofers as needed unless they themselves have the skills required.
I turned the offer of a chimney swarm this week. The chap has since been quoted £7K
Yes some of the stuff they do is amazing. They do know what they are doing.

Latest posts

Back