Bees in pheasant feeder.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Shoot

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 Nationals 2 poly nuc, also looking after a poly hive.
A friend has been out on his shoot and found a pheasant feeder that has fallen over has become home to a colony of bees. Good job it's been a mild winter.

bees in pheasant feeder.jpg

bees close up in pheasant feeder.jpg

Will go and collect them, and leave them in the feeder until the weather is warmer.

Might put some hessian and cover in tarp around them to help them stay warm, and build up.

I bet its cold inside of that when there is a frost on the ground.

I bet!

And I bet if they stayed in there when spring/summer comes then they would absolutely boil in a metal box when the sun hits it!

I am intrigued how you go about getting them out of there and into a hive. Someone we know has a colony in their bird box and wants them shifted. I've no intention of going anywhere near them until I know a bit (ie lot) more - but I've been pondered how you'd do it.

I am intrigued how you go about getting them out of there and into a hive. Someone we know has a colony in their bird box and wants them shifted. I've no intention of going anywhere near them until I know a bit (ie lot) more - but I've been pondered how you'd do it.

Look up 'cut outs' that will give you loads of ideas. Basically you can remove the comb and tie it into frames.
E

How big is the bird box? If it's the sort used by blue tits then the tree bumble bee, Bombus hypnorum, is probably the occupant though I would have expected the colony to have disappeared for the winter by now. Or maybe it's an owl box?

How big is the bird box? If it's the sort used by blue tits then the tree bumble bee, Bombus hypnorum, is probably the occupant though I would have expected the colony to have disappeared for the winter by now. Or maybe it's an owl box?

It's a colleague where my wife works and she described it as quite a large bird house, I haven't seen it yet as I have no intention of going near bees until I've had some training.

I will look up the techniques mentioned above. So much to learn....

It's a colleague where my wife works and she described it as quite a large bird house, I haven't seen it yet as I have no intention of going near bees until I've had some training.

I will look up the techniques mentioned above. So much to learn....

Look up "JP the Bee Man" on you tube, he's done tons of videos and cut outs are his thing. A lot of people do videos but i honestly think his are the best and most informative. Above all Jeff is a really nice guy and likes a laugh. His family run a pest control business and he removes all the bees, and always finds the queen!! He's a true professional and he's 1st class in what he does!!

I bet!

And I bet if they stayed in there when spring/summer comes then they would absolutely boil in a metal box when the sun hits it!

That's what I was thinking, want to get them out as soon as it gets nice enough to do so, but give them protection until that point in time.
There should be a lid at the other end, which should make things easier.

I bet!

They'd probably cope - saw a few instances of bees in metal containers (old oil drums) etc. out in Africa - one colony happily living in a corner of a 30 ft shipping container.

Bought the whole feeder home. Wrapped in hessian and a bin bag. Managed to attach a plastic tub with fondant over the bottom hole, with the aid of s block if wood and a hive strap. Worked very well. Found some foil covered bubble wrap and attached this to the front as well. The bees seem to like the landing platform created with the bubble wrap over the tub of fondant. Left the bees in their pheasant feeder, come now looking like a space ship home until the weather got warmer.
About 4 weeks ago, popped the lid off and removed the colony with a couple of frames if comb with BIAS into a hive. They're doing well in their new hive.

About 4 weeks ago, popped the lid off and removed the colony with a couple of frames if comb with BIAS into a hive. They're doing well in their new hive.

I'm curios. How were the combs orientated inside the feeder,
Warm way or Cold??

Bought the whole feeder home. Wrapped in hessian and a bin bag. Managed to attach a plastic tub with fondant over the bottom hole, with the aid of s block if wood and a hive strap. Worked very well. Found some foil covered bubble wrap and attached this to the front as well. The bees seem to like the landing platform created with the bubble wrap over the tub of fondant. Left the bees in their pheasant feeder, come now looking like a space ship home until the weather got warmer.

Brilliant outcome, i had my doubts about them getting through the winter in that metal barrel.

Some photos

Attachments

• comb in pheasant feeder.jpg
    comb in pheasant feeder.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 22
Covered pheasant feeder side

Attachments

• covered pheasant feeder.jpg
    covered pheasant feeder.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Front view of the space ship look a likey pheasant feeder,