Bees in my bait hive: A novice question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaghbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national hives
Hi all.

I am a first year bee keeper so be gentle. I placed a bait hive on top of my shed bout 10 ft up. Noticed lots of action - lots of bees coming and going. I think i have caught a swarm just today. There was 1 frame of old comb in the hive. My question is what should i do? do i now fill the rest of the hive up with foundation. Feed - add a frame of stores from my other (double brood) hive / Let them be for a day or 2 to settle in. Suggestions warmly welcomed and appreciated.

:thanks:

Last edited:
If theyt have moved in, and you don't intend to keep your hive on top of your shed, I'd close them up tonight and move them to their final location forthwith. they then need foundation (that's one question answered) Don't feed for at least three days and only if needs be - if there's good foraging weather you could leave them be, although some would say a few pints of 1:1won't go amiss (2nd question answered) then personally I would leave a queen excluder under the BB to avoid absconding (once you know queen is in there!) and leave them be - if you have loads of brrod, you could put a frame of brood in there, that will help them decide to stay as well :D

I'd be absolutely sure they've moved in.

Have the new frames ready to put in but pop up after dark and give them a knock, (with your ear against the side), if they are inside you'll hear.
If not they could be on their way as soon as the sun comes out!
You could try putting a plank or similar on top/overhanging the front to shelter the entrance, (kind of welcome porch).

If you follow advice given above and put an excluder under the BB then don't leave it there for more than a few days in case swarm is a secondary one headed by virgin queen. She will need to get out and mate.

If you follow advice given above and put an excluder under the BB then don't leave it there for more than a few days in case swarm is a secondary one headed by virgin queen. She will need to get out and mate.

What if you put an excluder in and they're not there????

Make sure they have moved in before you interfere.

Was there anyone about when they moved in.
It is pretty dramatic when they do so anyone in would have noticed.
If they are there and are strong there will be bees flying and possibly guard bees visible at the entrance.

Personally I would seal up tonight after they have stopped flying and take them to their inended home. Then add frames next time you visit otherwise they will be expending energy building comb you will have to break down.

You can feed them if needs be after 2-3 days , the delay to let them use up any honey from their old hive.

fingers crossed there is a queen ready to lay. It should be good fun watching them build!

Latest posts

Back