Bees in chimney: ID & advice please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsuffolk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello there

We've just come back from a few days away, and found half a dozen dead bees in the living room, and can hear a sporadic humming coming from the chimney over the fireplace.

I've attached a photo of some of them. They're all about 10-12mm from 'nose to tail' excluding wings. They appear completely black although in daylight they might have a slight gingerish tinge to them. (Photos taken indoors this evening, apologies for the rough pic quality).

So - what are they? Are there likely to be many?

Also - what can be done to safely (for them and us) encourage them to find a new home? We have a three year old and the house will soon be sold to a family with a two year old and a newborn!

Many thanks!

Austen

Hello there

We've just come back from a few days away, and found half a dozen dead bees in the living room, and can hear a sporadic humming coming from the chimney over the fireplace.

I've attached a photo of some of them. They're all about 10-12mm from 'nose to tail' excluding wings. They appear completely black although in daylight they might have a slight gingerish tinge to them. (Photos taken indoors this evening, apologies for the rough pic quality).

So - what are they? Are there likely to be many?

Also - what can be done to safely (for them and us) encourage them to find a new home? We have a three year old and the house will soon be sold to a family with a two year old and a newborn!

Many thanks!

Austen
Bumble bees, shouldn't pose any threat to you as quite gentle. Will not exceed more than a few hundred in number and probably all gone by October.

Thanks Lebouche

I've just stood outside for five mins and I can see them mooching about around the chimney stack. Probably four or five at any one time, and appear to be going into the cracks in the mortar (needed repointing for a while, whole other story!).

Not sure the people buying the house next month will be overly enthused about a bees' nest in the chimney. Where do I stand on that?

Thanks again.

Absolutely no problem.
All will die by late Sept/Oct, and the queen will go elsewhere to hibernate. All will be peaceful again.
If I was them I would pos get chimney swept, is it used in winter? Don't need to mention bees, just say nearly due for its 3yearly sweep :spy:

Force Majeure.

Unless your three year old can climb up onto the roof of your house, I wouldn't worry. Do you think that your average person dies or something when they get stung by a bee?

Don't shove child up to sweep chimney and there wont be problem :judge:

dont shove child up. drop him down much better for your back and posture. let gravity do your work.

those bumbles will be gone by winter. chances are they are in a cavity in the chimney anyway not the flue so sweeping wont do much (proberly) they can be stoped from entering the house completly by putting a rag up the chimney till they are gone. (make sure this is known about tho. room full of smoke is no fun)

Latest posts

Back