Bees in Car !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cars

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have just established my first out apiary at a local farm. Everything is going well, the OSR is just turning yellow and the bees are loving it.

I would appreciate guidance or comments on the best way to get the bees off of myself before getting into the car for the drive home.

Thanks in anticipation

I have just established my first out apiary at a local farm. Everything is going well, the OSR is just turning yellow and the bees are loving it.

I would appreciate guidance or comments on the best way to get the bees off of myself before getting into the car for the drive home.

Thanks in anticipation
brush them off with a bunch of twigs/hay and walk around a a hedge side to loose the followers on the way back to the car .
VM

is there a cool and shady corner or tree nearby? if so, that seems to work for me, just walk over and stand under it. You may have a couple to brush off still but most go pretty quickly.

Move the car away from the hives before you open them up after the move. Then when you walk back to the car take your suit off and shake off any bees before getting into it.

But well behaved bees should not be sitting all over you or following you to the car. However, I've driven off across a field before now and then had to stop and get out to clear away all the bees which followed me into the car - so I would not claim to have cracked the problem!

Get rid of omost of them before getting into car, open windows... drive a short distance, get them out of the vehicle, repeat short drive and so on.

If it is a real problem then changing some queens looks to be on the agenda.

PH

Thank you all for the coments, I'll have to experiment to fine tune my exit stategy !

Just envisioned a dramatic stage style disappearing in a puff of smoke!

Maybe one to add to you repertoire?

There's always one that'll stay with you. My hives are about 50 yards from my house. Two weeks ago, after our first inspection my bee buddy and I checked each other for Klingons. I then went indoors, made a cup of tea, sat down in an armchair to drink it, wandered around the house doing bits and pieces, played about with my iPad and after about three hours went to get ready to go out. Returning from the bathroom I found a bee crawling out of my discarded clothes. Presumably it had been accompanying me in everything I'd been doing since the inspection. It'll now have a taste for "Angry Birds".

If they do get in, which is unavoidable at times, open the windows just a centimetre or two. They fly up the window and out but you rarely get new ones coming in, so you are clear of bees fairly quickly.

when you are standing under the shady tree waiting for them to lose you it helps to hold your breath. Every time you exhale they home in you. 5 or 6 minutes should do it.

Love it wondervet....... Really made me laugh!!
I guess when the bees are done cos of breath holding, the flies come cos you're dead!!
E

when you are standing under the shady tree waiting for them to lose you it helps to hold your breath. Every time you exhale they home in you. 5 or 6 minutes should do it.

That's all very well if you're Tanya Streeter ;):rolleyes:

I'm amazed no-ones mentioned smoke. I puff a bit around myself while walking away from the hives, definitely helps throw them off the scent.

Get rid of omost of them before getting into car, open windows... drive a short distance, get them out of the vehicle, repeat short drive and so on.

PH

I agree. This works for me.

Latest posts

Back