Bees in allotments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
Just spent ages reading the thread about keeping bees in your garden and the possible problems and the sensible precautions to take.

Has anyone anything additional to say about what to check out or do with regard to allotments? I've got the steward, plotholders and council on side and have visited an allotment in my borough where bees are kept and had discussions with them but all advice is welcomed.

Best to try to get things right at the beginning. Thanks in advance for any help.

I got permission to keep bees on my allotment from the town council; did the course and got my bee mentor to check the proposed position. All great for the first 4-5 months and was great to see them daily. Have the bigest plot (about third of acre) on site then 1 colony (of the pair) went ape for no apparent reason and had to move both off site very quickly. Always best to have an alternative location in case things don't go to plan.

The allotment holder I bought my bees from had signs with emergency contact numbers on.

There was a recent thread (something I hadn't even considered) regarding the effect of bonfire smoke on the hives. Something to consider prior to setting up maybe.

Good luck. My allotment assoc will not even entertain the idea!

Dave.

Just spent ages reading the thread about keeping bees in your garden and the possible problems and the sensible precautions to take.

Has anyone anything additional to say about what to check out or do with regard to allotments? I've got the steward, plotholders and council on side and have visited an allotment in my borough where bees are kept and had discussions with them but all advice is welcomed.

Best to try to get things right at the beginning. Thanks in advance for any help.

The one thing you will have to consider on an allotment with bees is that they are semi public spaces and although not expected to run around at will children may wander onto your plot and up to the hive entrance.

Best to enclose the bees with fence or similar with gate and sign.

Also you will have to take measures to try and combat vandalism, things thrown at the hive or even getting pushed over and a greater chance of theft.

Construct a strong base and burry the legs into the ground 10” then always strap the hive to the stand after inspections.

The bees flight path is something to consider especially if the site is reasonably flat, the bees will travel for some distance from the hive before they are above the heads of people and if they are foraging in one direction with a big nectar flow on a plot two down from you could literally have 1000s of bees flying in both directions at about 5-6’ off the ground.

Again if you enclose the bees you can make that enclosure on a number of sides 6’ tall to get the bees to go up and over peoples heads.

The BBKA for all their faults have a number of documents related to allotment beekeeping. G**gle is your friend.

I have two hives in the garden at home. They've been fine this year, they're a bit tetchy at the moment because of wasps and going into winter. But I can still mow around them with my petrol mower, just. But .... as had been said many times I do have an alternative site if needed.

I would offer the same advice for any hive site. You need to have a plan B just in case things go pear shaped.

Bobster

Last edited:
I guess different allotment sites have different rules, my cousins site in London will not allow hives they say you can not keep 'live stock' however other sites allow hives as they call the bees pollinators not live stock.

I recently found out on my allotment they do allow hives and there are two there all ready. Fred the allotment man in charge has been stung several times and the beekeeper in question said he would remove his hive, however Fred declined the offer and said it was good to have bees about.

I guess like about post you have to consider a few things when having bees on the allotment. I wish more people were like Fred where keeping bees are concerned.

Good Luck

I have mine on our allotment. At first I was a bit concerned that loads of people would complain, not one person has, including the 94 year old gentleman three plots over who is allergic to bee and wasp stings. In front of the hives and about two yards away is our polytunnel, the hive entrances are South faceing so the bees have to fly over the polly tunnel ind and out of the hives. behind them on the North side is a 6 foot fence they have to fly over if the come that way, to the West is our double palet biult compost bins which are around 4 foot high, to the East is our new fruit cage which will be finished by crimble so, basically, regardless of direction, my "girls" have to fly at around 8 foot high coming and going. I will be going down again this morning to pick some beetroot for market tomorrow so I will take some decent pics of the area and put them in my Album on here. When we went and spoke to the council they thought it was a great idea to keep bees. Just get insurance and keep an eye on what is happening. Mine swarmed twice, both times going to a neighbours plot. The first time we had to pull part of his runner bean mesh apart to get the little tykes back, we left him a note in his shed detailing what happened and said e would now buy him a new net. He came to us and told us not to bother, bees do what bees do and it was great to have them on the plot.............He was there when they swarmed it seems:) The second time they headed right for the same spot again!!! (wonder if bees can see ley lines, must look into that) My lady on the other side loves it when they are out and about. Everyone is most interested in what I am doing and are appreciative to the fact that I am working with several thousand wild insects with a mind of their own at times. Insurance is dirt cheap via a bee keeping group as well. Hope this post helps you in some ways:) please do ask me about other things to do with allotments, I am not the worlds expert but, I am there doing it.

Having seen how aggressive a colony can turn with no warning I personally would steer well clear of keeping bees on an allotment.
I prefer the space where I keep my bees to be totally under my control - I don't think I could handle umpteen other allotment committee members telling me what I should or shouldn't do.
Worth thinking about.

Hello Poggle

What insurance did you get?

Many thanks

Fred the allotment man in charge has been stung several times and the beekeeper in question said he would remove his hive, however Fred declined the offer and said it was good to have bees about.

Not an acceptable situation, is it? Others may also be getting stung as well as Fred. The responsible beekeeper should have removed them and replaced them with a more docile stock, or at least re-queened.

RAB

He did offer to remove them, I guess if other people had problems they would have mentioned it to Fred.

I plan to move mine there next year, but will be re queening before hand.

I agree it is a delicate area and I do have a second place ready to move to if any problems. I would not want to upset anyone with the bees.

The one thing you will have to consider on an allotment with bees is that they are semi public spaces and although not expected to run around at will children may wander onto your plot and up to the hive entrance.

Best to enclose the bees with fence or similar with gate and sign.

Also you will have to take measures to try and combat vandalism, things thrown at the hive or even getting pushed over and a greater chance of theft.

Construct a strong base and burry the legs into the ground 10” then always strap the hive to the stand after inspections.

The bees flight path is something to consider especially if the site is reasonably flat, the bees will travel for some distance from the hive before they are above the heads of people and if they are foraging in one direction with a big nectar flow on a plot two down from you could literally have 1000s of bees flying in both directions at about 5-6’ off the ground.

Again if you enclose the bees you can make that enclosure on a number of sides 6’ tall to get the bees to go up and over peoples heads.

I have bees are thriving in an enclosure 10t by 15 ft with 8ft+ high fence/obstacles around. Consider using fence panels for the sides and stock fence/net as open mesh roof to stop stuff being thrown over the top landing on the hives. The non enclosed hive has bees flying at high speed for 10m below 2m before the climb out over the house

Having had my girls on allotments for a while. Most of the above is sound advice.

1- Insurance
2- High Fencing/Hedges & gate
3- Keep neighbors, council, plotholder groups, committees etc. onside
4- Contact numbers for problems and swarm collection.
5- Have some other beek's who can help out when your at work/holiday/sick etc
6- Have a second apiary so you can move any problems hives immediately.

Having had my girls on allotments for a while. Most of the above is sound advice.

1- Insurance
2- High Fencing/Hedges & gate
3- Keep neighbors, council, plotholder groups, committees etc. onside
4- Contact numbers for problems and swarm collection.
5- Have some other beek's who can help out when your at work/holiday/sick etc
6- Have a second apiary so you can move any problems hives immediately.

My private allotment tried this year allowing 4 people to keep bees on their plots. One unfortunately was badly handled and maintained and stung neighbours repeatedly.I ended up moving them to another site as they had no contingency.

They have agreed to let the rest of us keep them but next year are allocating separate area away from other peoples plots, we'll see how that goes as I'll be managing the area for them. I'll certainly be making some rules about monitoring infection and varoa treatment + the 5 above.

I got mine via Bournemouth And South Dorset Bee Keepers Association. I think it is cheaper to go via an association that direct to the UK main bee people.

Last edited:
He did offer to remove them, I guess if other people had problems they would have mentioned it to Fred.

I plan to move mine there next year, but will be re queening before hand.

Even the most docile bees will sting if you involuntarily brush them off /hit them. Maybe fred thinks some of the stings were down to him.
I got stung on the nose when a I had collision with one near the flight path, it hit a nostril got caught I reflexively grabbed at it and got stung. Things like that you have to put down to being on the same planet with other life

Poggle, what green paint did you use? We need to weather proof our spares this year. Many thanks

Latest posts

Back