Bees from Australia?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am looking for a nucleus for my first hive and have seen some advertised as having an Australian queen in them.
There is a note in the latest BeeMail from Bee-craft from an Australian beekeeper stating that Small Hive Beetle has reached that country and is said to be ʻwreaking havocʼ with hives.
It has spread rapidly in four years and apparently the beetle is thriving this year. It is capable of wiping out a complete hive.

Any views on the safety of buying a queen imported from Australia please?

Last edited:
IMHO and it is only an oppinion any imports are a potential risk to home colonies. There are so many examples of non native species wreaking havoc with local populations. Be it crayfish, or sudden oak death and japanese knotweed. I certainly wouldnt want the introduction of any pest on my conciense

I was told that Australian bees are behind ours in developing some resistance to varroa because they have been exposed to less of it so this could be another factor.
Tricia

I would personally advise against it. Read the NZ bees thread (or at least part of it) for a good debate on the many reasons for and against importing queens.

The USA have banned them for some reason,but i am sure with our strict bio security in this country there will be no problem,they only have SHB in some parts,IAPV,and lets hope they have not got Tropilaelaps clareae as well.

Any views on the safety of buying a queen imported from Australia please?

Importation was how varroa arrived in the UK.

Surely UK local bees must be more attractive given all health considerations.

Latest posts

Back