Bees Flying in January

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is sometimes important for bees to collect water at this time. Honey is too concentrated for them to metabolize straight off.

I'll not bother looking at your Youtube clip. I have seen bees flying before.

Further than for water here (slow shallow stream suitably mineralised within metres of the main apiary). Beeline over the house (250m away) probably for gorse.

It's been 10˚ here today and I've seen bees on the Mahonia in the garden some 200m from the hives.

Did you make thhose hives yourself and if so, what type of timber is that and thickness. I can see you have alot of mould on your stand, if it where me, id make a new one and make sure it was well sealed.

just stretching and pooing i expect normal very mild heft the hive to determine stores nice video
wet and drizzle in Manchester

Some pollen going in aswell and good strong Tipp accents in the background. McCarthy will be home next September.:winner1st:

Had to make stand for a quick fix so the landing board didn't get a coat of varnish so the un treated red deal is staying very damp in this wet weather. Red deal is 5/8" thick.

Had to make stand for a quick fix so the landing board didn't get a coat of varnish so the un treated red deal is staying very damp in this wet weather. Red deal is 5/8" thick.

Think ill go with the red deal myself when building mine, infact i might even use white deal as its cheaper if i remember correctly.

mine were the same today and have been on and off now for a month. def not just water as i saw some gorse pollen coming in. not much but some. weird winter so far. was 12 degrees here and spoke to a fella ten miles away who had 13 degrees and was describing more activity than my own or in your video. heres hopin they are in such good form come paddys day

:sunning:
i have had lots of bees out and about. Around 11 degres hear today and i even saw some pollen coming in, i have tried explaning to the bees it is winter but im not sure they are listening to me, :willy_nilly: it looked more like a summers day down at the apery, :nono:
:seeya:

Same story in Tyrone. Two hives very busy all day. Both fine for stores.
You're welcome to Mc Carthy, it's Sam we're after.

My Bees have been flying all winter, there was only a few days that they never came out to play, it was -3c those days. But most days its been between 8-13c here even at night its only going down to 3-4c on the cold nights.

Same story in Tyrone. Two hives very busy all day. Both fine for stores.
You're welcome to Mc Carthy, it's Sam we're after.

You can have him .... those Taaaaaarown lads are too tough for us mammy's boys down here and its ABD (anyone but Donegal) this year ...the hat size has increased sharply up there. :coolgleamA:

If I didn’t know better I would have thought it was a beautiful spring day, well apart from it being dull and overcast and I'm not wearing short sleeves and sandals. Bee coming and going from all three hives. Unfortunately I had left some wax in a bucket outside, now instead of tipping water down the outside drain the wife tipped it out by the back door of the house thinking it would all drain away nicely. I now have lots of bees visiting outside my back door. Dog won’t go out there now. At least she has learnt the dog that is not the wife.

The sun came out in South Hertfordshire about 12:00, temp 12.5c, and those hives in the sun had lots of bees out ..from the state of my suit...toilet flights and also mortuary bees clearing the dead...one hive very quiet...oh dear and one with a mouse guard had wax outside...? pygmy shrew

Latest posts

Back