Bees Flying in January

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes 2 types of pollen going in one of my hives today. That was 10 a.m. The other hive usually comes out later and I was not there to see them when the sun came out, so I don't know if they were collecting pollen too.

I saw a bumblebee out and about in Ross-on-Wye on the 2nd, with full pollen baskets. Flew off before I got a picture. Didn't look like a queen though.

I know there are many types. It was 1-1.5cm. Will try to remember what I thought it was - was v post new year and pretty hazy! Either way, still early for a queen. She wasn't quartering.

My viburnum is in flower and they're visiting it. The mahonia is starting to open. Even oop north the crocuses will soon be in flower. I'm starting to anticipate the new season. May all our remaining colonies survive and this year be so much better than last.

My three hives in Stroud were very busy earlier today, with lots of yellow pollen coming in. Also, the hives are unexpectedly heavy. Possibly they're finding some nectar too. I'm pleased they're all alive and kicking, so to speak, but it's not great timing. At least they benefit from the urban garden environment around here: there's almost always something flowering all through the year. At the moment, Viburnum, Mahonia and one or two spring flowers are out, including quite a few primroses.

Hi Gardenbees.
Love your German Shepherd. Used to have two. Anyhow, back to bees. I am concerned that the extra heavyness I too experienced today may be due to them bringing water into the hive to dilute their honey, apparently before they can consume it! If that's it then we are lulled into a false sense of security.

I went to see mine today in and they were pretty active, a good 30 of them around the entrance. Slapped some food on and left them to it.

Latest posts

Back