Bees clustering under crown board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try not to feed them Ben but honey in super is mostly ivy.

Take it off and use it as a top up as and when required. Last year they ate nearly all of it.

Moggs,

14 x 12 changeover (which will be a challenge in itself).

Either (1) shook swarm (into half a 14 x 12 initially?) when no extra box is required, or

(2) Do a Bailey change (more kit might be needed, but see below).

For the option (1) add ekes to any spare deep brood boxes and 'shook swarm' into them; scorch the brood(s) emptied and repeat the exercise on another (or more) hives. Feed bees until comb is well underway, or longer as necessary. Leave a pollen comb in temporarily, if weather turns 'anti-honey bee'.

Option (2) can be easily achieved by putting the new boxes (and the queen) in position and waiting. Alternatively, you could economise on boxes by transfering only the brooding frames, + one, into the rear half of a 14 x 12 box and add large frames as required (divider with exit/entrance preferably, or dummy, in front and something to take up the extra space (under the deep frames). The one 'non-brood' frame will act as insulation behind the brood nest. Needs doing before too much spring expansion. The brood nest will gradually move towards the hive entry/exit, so remove deeps at the back and replace with jumbos at the front as and when appropriate.

The main thing to be avoided is too much space to be kept warm by your 'smaller than 14 x 12' colony, while always keeping just ahead with foundation for them to draw.

Long way off yet though!

Regards, RAB

Thanks RAB. I was hoping somebody would be along in a minute! In the interests of interchangeability of kit, I will try to change all hives in one early-season operation (my winterisation has brought the number down by uniting). I want to go with a process that causes minimum disruption, maximum growth and huge honey production. I fear that I may be sadly disappointed!

Anyway, I like the sound of a Bailey change that I can add to my beekeeping CV!

Your advice much appreciated.

Regards, Moggs.

Latest posts

Back