Bees clustering outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willjones4

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello,

I've been beekeeping for 3 days so i have very little practical knowledge when it comes to bee behaviour. Since the swarm moved in i have had a fist sized cluster of bees on and around the ventilation cone of my WBC hive, this is larger during the day. I work shifts and checked the hive at 1am when i returned home, the cluster was still there but it was much smaller.

View attachment 10219

The rest of the hive seem to be going about their business, i see them fanning the entrance and returning with pollen, they seem more than happy and not aggressive in anyway. Are the bees just hot and trying to cool down or is there something i should be aware of. I have uploaded a photo to help.

Thank you for your help.

They think it's a way in and they can smell the pheromones from inside but can't understand why they can't get in!
Try knocking them off in front of the entrance and then tape a bit of paper over the ventilation for a while until they realise they should be using the entrance!
E

I don't know your particular hive but as mentioned above Queen pheromones are keeping the bees there, possibility the crown board/feeder board has a hole in it thats not covered

While that cone serves as some ventilation, its primary use is as an escape for bees which become trapped in the space between the outers and the boxes.

Are you sure the bees are in the box(es) and not setting up home by building comb from the roof?

Oh good point RAB ..... Did you remember to put the crown board on!
E

Hello,

I've been beekeeping for 3 days so i have very little practical knowledge when it comes to bee behaviour. Since the swarm moved in i have had a fist sized cluster of bees on and around the ventilation cone of my WBC hive, this is larger during the day. I work shifts and checked the hive at 1am when i returned home, the cluster was still there but it was much smaller.

View attachment 10219

The rest of the hive seem to be going about their business, i see them fanning the entrance and returning with pollen, they seem more than happy and not aggressive in anyway. Are the bees just hot and trying to cool down or is there something i should be aware of. I have uploaded a photo to help.

Thank you for your help.

Have you a poorly fitted or leaky crowbars so air is passing through the hive and out of the vent? Any airflow thus will carry the hive scent

Back