Bees butterflies and blooms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailtryfan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just watched this program on BBC2 and it's got me feeling all militant about getting the local council to be a bit more bee friendly in their planting. For those that missed it the program pointed out that the vast majority of modern bedding plants are of no use at all to bees and other pollinating insects. Also, the council seem to wait until all the wild flowers on the verges near me are in full bloom and teeming with insects, before they sweep in with their mowers and reduce it to dead sticks. I'm thinking of writing a letter or two to the park service and will try and mobilise my local division to put pressure on the council.

:rant:

Fantastic programme, I went straight onto flea bay searching for seeds. I will plant a meadow area in my Apiary when I finish planting my fruit trees.

I hope it looks as beautiful.

If we all plant a small area we will all benefit. Last year I gave away some free bee friendly plants and hope to do the same this year.

I have just been given 1kg of wild flower seeds, 1kg of sweet clover seeds and 1kg of phacelia also 1/2 kg of borage,dwarf sunflower seeds!! Roll on sowing season!! :)

Seems local authorities all have the same mandate, I watched swathes of white clover mown into pulp last year.
Not a clue of management where verges are concerned, no longer ripping out Ragwort and everywhere I go I see teams of tree killers performing a massive thinning exercise of all the trees.

does anyone know where the cheapest place to get wild flower seeds and borage ?

I wouldn't swear that they are the cheapest but it is worth a look at
n a t u r e s c a p e.co.uk. without the spaces.
We've used them for yellow rattle seed and they are both helpful and knowledgeable.

Tim

PS I've just spotted another thread on this subject under 'Beekeeping Books + Media with a lot more info. on it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we need to educate the public, as well as local authorities.
I let part of my garden grow wild in an attempt to create meadow conditions.
My neighbour got very irate, complained that it was unsightly, and said that "spores" were landing on his garden. *****!

I have to admit that it doesn't really look as nice as I had hoped, but I was really excited by the quantity of wildlife that turned up - bumbles, butterflies, and even a toad.

does anyone know where the cheapest place to get wild flower seeds and borage ?

I grow dalias from seed, the bees love them (single open flower) and save the seed. The seeds are decendents of some I grew 20+ years ago.

They come in various colours and sizes due to cross pollination.

And they germinate really easy.

I found a good website for seeds called bee happy plants. As you would expect from the name all the plants are bee friendly.
They even tell you in the info how many pounds of honey and or pollen the plants are capable of providing.

I'm keen to get some seeds planted locally, and have emailed the local parish council.....can't help thinking that it will be quicker to just get on and sow some around the village in small patches. Have looked online for best bargains.....if you google 'wild flower seeds for sale' there are loads of firms who sell seed in larger quantities - it's much cheaper pro rata the more you buy. I like the look, of the Bos--n Seeds mixes. There was also an offer in the Telegraph last week for wild flower seed gromats; just lay down, cover thinly with soil, and water. The link for their website: www.windeals.co.uk/products scroll down to the wildflower mat option. (I have no connection to any of the above companies)

Our town area is a isle about 1.5 km x 1.5 km. There are 20 000 citizens.

About year 1986 I sew half litre Himalayan balsam seeds in our grounds. It was very new then and first seeds I got from University Botanical Garden.

After that our nature lovers have been blessed with "weed balsam off" project. Every year, during 10 years, they have had great successes in the battle for original nature.

In 1995 I visited in England. In Milton Keynes I donated some wild flower bulbs of Corydalis solida. Bumbblebees and butterflies love it. It is very early spring flower and not native to England.

I hope that it has found its place in Milton Keynes nature.

aihekuva.asp

Our town area is a isle about 1.5 km x 1.5 km. There are 20 000 citizens.

About year 1986 I sew half litre Himalayan balsam seeds in our grounds. It was very new then and first seeds I got from University Botanical Garden.

After that our nature lovers have been blessed with "weed balsam off" project. Every year, during 10 years, they have had great successes in the battle for original nature.

It might have been new in your area nut I was seeing it as a kid more than 20 years before that.

Back