Bees and Sheep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kept mine in a nursery lamb field and often found baby on top and Mum complaining and trying to get them down - sooo a fence went up rapidly and they still tried to climb that!!

you could try wearing wellies with velcro round the top and mint sauce as aftershave while tending the hives, i'm sure the sheep would get the hint and stay well away.....

:biggrinjester:

:xmas-smiley-010: Our bees are kept on land with Castlemilk Morits, we have to fence off the bees from the sheep because the sheep are a) inquisitive b) rub against anything that will help ease an itch, c) they have horns that get hooked into things like fencing, hive stand legs etc. d) the rams, well they will ram anything and e) greatbritishhoney mentioned hurdles, well the sheep just see that as something else to try to commit suicide by and will easily knock them over as well as the hives,

apart from being butted by the Tup :biggrinjester: while taking a photo of my precaution i think it is sorted

metal hurdles tied and spiked into ground seem to work

The other beekeeper who lost the hive (nearest in first picture on a hgh stand(!!!) and did not strap it down, mine where strapped to a paving slab . The were cover is rubbed wool but survived,,,,,but hurdles are i think a better defence...see photos....and they all were doing toilet flights as the sun came out after the sleat and snow :party:

Last edited:
Wow Herwicks- they are a long way from home or London N11 (which seems to be your location) has moved .

Wow Herwicks- they are a long way from home or London N11 (which seems to be your location) has moved .

it is a childrens farm in London NW7 , so lots of show herds, old gloucester pigs, dexter cows and varius herds of sheep about 30-50 ewes in each, .it is on 300 acrea of mixed small field of pasture with old fashion hedgerows which gives excellent honey...not all of london is built up...

these seem rather aguile and climbers so i think the hurdles are needed rather than just strapping down

Last edited:
it is a childrens farm in London NW7 , so lots of show herds, old gloucester pigs, dexter cows and varius herds of sheep about 30-50 ewes in each, .it is on 300 acrea of mixed small field of pasture with old fashion hedgerows which gives excellent honey...not all of London is built up...

these seem rather aguile and climbers so i think the hurdles are needed rather than just strapping down

Rather "agile and climbers"b they are a breed native to the lakes and only found now in certain parts of the Lakes and are well used to scambling over rocks etc.. They are unlike all other British breeds of sheep there are two legends as to where they originated. One is they swam ashore from sinking Spanish Galleons as the Armada tried to make its way round the British Isles to get back to Spain. Personally I doubt this as the average sheep after any distance has the swimming ability of a household brick due to waterlogging. The other theory (in my view much more believable) is they were developed from sheep brought over by the Vikings who settled much of Cumbria.

They obviously have got a good home if somewhat different to their native heath.

Back