Bees and Electric Fences.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
This is probably a very stupid question...

Some sheep have been moved into the field in which a couple of my hives are kept. Very kindly, the farmer has cordoned the hives off with some electric fencing. Having said this, the fence has been put only about a foot away from the hives' entrances, right in their flight path. It is made up of three wires with gaps of about 20 cm between each. I presume this isn't going to cause the bees too many issues? I suddenly had visions of hundreds of them getting zapped on their orientation flights, but then saw an image of a swarm resting on a live electric fence and thought it must be okay...

Any opinions on this?

Ben

The bees that my friends asked me to put on their animal sanctuary, appear totally unaffected by electric fencing, which runs close to two sides of the hive

The bees that my friends asked me to put on their animal sanctuary, appear totally unaffected by electric fencing, which runs close to two sides of the hive
does it keep them from straying?

Some sheep have been moved into the field in which a couple of my hives are kept. Very kindly, the farmer has cordoned the hives off with some electric fencing. Having said this, the fence has been put only about a foot away from the hives' entrances, right in their flight path. It is made up of three wires with gaps of about 20 cm between each. I presume this isn't going to cause the bees too many issues? I suddenly had visions of hundreds of them getting zapped on their orientation flights, but then saw an image of a swarm resting on a live electric fence and thought it must be okay...

Any opinions on this?

Ben
I have a 14 strand elec fence directly in front of a bunch of hives and have no issues at all. (Approximately 50 cm in front)
I recently rehomed a large wild colony from a nest box in bird aviary - 13mm chicken wire... This didnt seem to phase them at all, they flew in full speed, then almost as if hitting the brakes, slowed down to negotiate the fence then zoomed off to the nest box... Very adaptive little creatures...
avairy removal.jpg

Any opinions on this?

Ben
I would say thank you to the farmer for being so considerate as to build the electric fence. I would, however ask him if it is possible to have the fence a little further from the hives. In my opinion there should be enough clearance between the hives and the electric fence so that inspections of the bees can be done . Alternatively, it may be possible to have a suitable switch to enable the electric fence to be de-activated when work needs to be done on the hive.

Harpe Electrique.jpg

French beekeepers, who as you may know have a slight problem with Asian Hornets, have been using high voltage 'harps' with the wires spaced just wide enough for bees to get through , but narrow enough to frazzle hornets. There are no reports of bees being affected by the electirc fields, as far as I know. Try Googling 'harpe electrique anti frelon'.

I would say thank you to the farmer for being so considerate as to build the electric fence. I would, however ask him if it is possible to have the fence a little further from the hives. In my opinion there should be enough clearance between the hives and the electric fence so that inspections of the bees can be done . Alternatively, it may be possible to have a suitable switch to enable the electric fence to be de-activated when work needs to be done on the hive.

It can be disconnected easily :)

View attachment 21525

French beekeepers, who as you may know have a slight problem with Asian Hornets, have been using high voltage 'harps' with the wires spaced just wide enough for bees to get through , but narrow enough to frazzle hornets. There are no reports of bees being affected by the electirc fields, as far as I know. Try Googling 'harpe electrique anti frelon'.

The hornets can’t be too dangerous - love the open toe sandals. Do Oz Armour sell them too. Very good ventilation on a hot day😀😀😀

Latest posts

Back