Beekeeping suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was recently researching suits and finally settled on a sherrif after getting a lot of good advice from everyone on here. It was a bit more money but I'm hoping it will last! No complaints so far.
I started with just a veil, thick clothes and wellies but feel much more confident in the suit now.

The unfortunate thing with any of these suits is the build up of heat. Maybe I suffer more than others, but the moment I seal up extremities (hands, feet, head) I immediately begin to overheat. The suit is not sting proof, neither are the leather gloves, so layers are required with moody bees. Hardly a perfect solution as you are even hotter and lifting supers etc and then replacing them carefully can be quite hefty work. Some days I'm soaking after going through the hives and aware that perspiration is going to have a negative affect on colony behaviour, not exactly an ideal situation.
Quality of construction is excellent on the suits I've tried, Modern Beekeeping, Sherriff and the BBwear I'm currently using. Only thing I'd add is the material in BBwear is not as thick as the other two, or it doesn't feel like.

PH,
The veil on that suit looks very spacious, what is the hood like. Those that cling to the contours of your head are not the most user friendly for the follically challenged.

I am bald. Mind you I am blunt too. LOL

Only prob I have had is the veil hoops, the metal is a bit fragile and bends in odd ways but I am pretty careless.

PH

Even if the fabric is Ok on a suit, be careful that the stitching is not of the 'chainstitch' variety that pulls undone if a single thread is broken or pulled. I had a 'bees from hell' experience with a friend's hive where bees got into both our suits as well as stinging through them, and yes, they were properly zipped up and checked. When I put mine through the washing machine a few hours later it fell apart - all the stitching down one side of the front zip to the crotch came undone. If that had happened at the time of the attack I would have been dead meat. Hence my subsequent purchase of the safest and most recommended suit on here.

Thanks P.H. will you please let us know what you think of their poly kit if you get some.
I have a bee basic suite its ok for the money my 5 year old has a one from mbk/ swienty and the quality is great

Microfibre from Bee Basic. Cuff stitching and the pocket I use most stitching has needed repair into th second year (I have two) but a great suit that can be put on wet for the cool as a cucumber first hour on a hot day.

I like the zip and elastic ankles which allow muck boots, wellies etc to go inside them securely.

You don't need a full suit at all, buy a veil and add the suit later as money permits, just wear long pants and long shirt, tuck your pants into your shoes.

Erm, by "pants", do you mean trousers, Sugarbush?
:biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back