Good News Bad News after my first winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bad news first. Thanks to COVID my beginner course with my local BKA, delayed from last year, is now pushed back to next year, so I will have to continue using common sense, lots of reading and advice.

Good news, I cracked the top of our overwintered hive Monday as it was fairly warm (12C). I was surprised at the amount of activity at the entrance, but not as surprised as when I cracked the seal below the feeder (still a decent amount of fondant) and took a very quick peek at the top of the brood box. I only had it open about 3 seconds, but I was happy to see at least 6 frames of bees. I had been expecting a far smaller amount and hadn't suited up, just had the hood of my suit on over my head, and got pinged by a couple of ladies who objected.

With luck a nice strong spring build up and earlyish split so we have two to compare between, especially since we won't be getting the colony from our course this year.

So ordered the new hive and will spend some time in the next couple of weeks trying out my Lidl electric nail gun to make up frames.

Nice one👍
The Winter isn’t over yet, so just keep an eye on food levels to avoid a loss.
Good luck with the split

Latest posts

Back