Beekeeping Books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beedle

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Could someone recommend a suitable place to sell my beekeeping books. I need to thin my shelves. eg Herrod Hempsall - Beekeeping Old and New - - these 3 volumes take a foot of bookshelf on their own!

Could someone recommend a suitable place to sell my beekeeping books. I need to thin my shelves. eg Herrod Hempsall - Beekeeping Old and New - - these 3 volumes take a foot of bookshelf on their own!
You could post them here with a price list and ask people to DM you. Let us know which ones are sold and I can edit them off the list

You could post them here with a price list and ask people to DM you. Let us know which ones are sold and I can edit them off the list
An excellent idea to use this forum to pass on beekeeping books. Posts on various subjects do sometimes indicate books are not always used to better understand a problem.
Old bee books can also be sold as collectors items. Northern Bee Books have the largest collection of new and old books - currently have five copies of Beekeepimg Old and New Vol 1 for sale at £75/85/95/70/88, depending on condition.
The other big used book seller is ardenbooks.co.uk - no copies of BKNO listed at present.
IMO BKNO is out of date and little use for practical beekeeping today. Herrod Hempsall took over from Cowan, whose guidebook ran for 26 editions from 1881 to 1924. Much better is Wedmore’s A Manual of Beekeeping, 1932. Northern Bee Books sell a reprint today for £22, saying a copy should be on every beekeeper’s shelves.

Should have made clear that when Northern Bee Books - and presumably Ardern Books - buy for resale, there is a big discount. So if this forum was used for face-to-face sales, both seller and buyer would benefit.

Should have made clear that when Northern Bee Books - and presumably Ardern Books - buy for resale, there is a big discount. So if this forum was used for face-to-face sales, both seller and buyer would benefit.
Thanks for that advice - - - I'll contact Northern Bee Books to see if the Herrod volumes are of any interest to today's audience

Thanks for that advice - - - I'll contact Northern Bee Books to see if the Herrod volumes are of any interest to today's audience
You'll find that there is a market for vol2 which is quite a scarce book. Vol 1, lots on the market but handy as part of a set. Not sure how you have a 3 Vol set as there were only 2 volumes, maybe that was a typo or, maybe, they've been rebound in an odd way.

You'll find that there is a market for vol2 which is quite a scarce book. Vol 1, lots on the market but handy as part of a set. Not sure how you have a 3 Vol set as there were only 2 volumes, maybe that was a typo or, maybe, they've been rebound in an odd way.
Thanks for that - - - I think you may be right about rebinding - - - they've been quite professionally done and volume two has been divided into volumes A and B - - - given how substantial 2000 + pages are I'm amazed they ever fitted in just 2 voumes !

Latest posts

Back