Beekeeping afloat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Some of you land lovers may be a bit interested in this as this is what I get up to when moving about on my little boat. The first video is the Hanwell flight and built at the end of the 1790’s with a bit of later construction work by Isambard kingdom brunel at the top of the flight, The Three Bridges as it’s known, the road bridge going over the canal and then that going over the railway, three modes of transport crossing in one place.

There is a beekeeping interest one of the lock cottages on the flight is rented by a beekeeper and I helped him out with bedding his bees down last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXI2i6fgwOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTJv9BDY5c

Good stuff!
“There is nothing, absolutely nothing so much worth doing as messing around in boats.”

nice tour tom one of my wishes to live on a narrow boat but wife loves her bungalow so land locked nice site as well

When husband and I were looking for a new place to live before we landed here in Ceredigion we found a beautiful place on the Staffordshire canal with an acre of land. I had visions of selling honey and eggs waterside. We were pipped to the post :(
I'll never forgive them. They live there for a month or so a year and leave the place boarded up when empty ......spit !!!!!!!

nice tour tom one of my wishes to live on a narrow boat but wife loves her bungalow so land locked nice site as well

It’s been ten years now for me and I still love it and I only stick to a short stretch of canal approx 25 miles, but it’s always changing with the seasons and the dead of winter canal frozen and snow is perhaps one of the best times, right now the dawn chorus is so loud it wakes you up and I can walk a few hundred yards, drive a couple of miles and I am in a madhouse of traffic and way too many people. One day I will check out the other 3000 miles available to me, perhaps get myself just short of Cumbria. Ever thought of a canal holiday, although a bit pricy but perhaps good fun.

When husband and I were looking for a new place to live before we landed here in Ceredigion we found a beautiful place on the Staffordshire canal with an acre of land. I had visions of selling honey and eggs waterside. We were pipped to the post :(
I'll never forgive them. They live there for a month or so a year and leave the place boarded up when empty ......spit !!!!!!!

Burn it :sifone:

Nice videos ... a friend of mine bought a narrow boat a couple of years ago and lives on board ... he was just outside of Oxford last year and took it down the Kennet and Avon to Bristol and back (and got stuck halfway !). He's now moored in East London on the Regents Canal not far from the Mile End Road ... bit industrial but he's got a real liveaboard community around him and loves it ... great life for a single person - My OH would require a butty just for her clothes !!

It's a shame but selling to boaters we are known to be a bit tight with money. When life is so cheap we don't tend to pay over the odds only the brass polishers pay over the odds and they only come out of the marinas a few months of the year and then spend their time panicking and moaning. So you missed out on nothing and from the sounds of it you have an almost perfect place location right now.

So you missed out on nothing and from the sounds of it you have an almost perfect place location right now.

We love it here.
The garden and allotment are coming on
The wildflower meadow too.....we planted yellow rattle which is starting to bloom and it will clear the ground for wild flowers to come.
I am more at ease with the bees now.....experience :)

Some people moved into a neighbouring holding a year ago.
They have 16 acres of SSSI
It is beautiful....wildlife and orchids. They are selling up because it is too quiet!!!!

We love it here.
The garden and allotment are coming on
The wildflower meadow too.....we planted yellow rattle which is starting to bloom and it will clear the ground for wild flowers to come.
I am more at ease with the bees now.....experience :)

Some people moved into a neighbouring holding a year ago.
They have 16 acres of SSSI
It is beautiful....wildlife and orchids. They are selling up because it is too quiet!!!!

Sounds like bliss

Very nice Tom, I wouldn't want to cruise at that speed but it would be good if the locks would fill that fast!

We lived on boats for 12 years until we moved off after my heart surgery in 2012. We loved it, but now we're getting used to some of the advantages of living on land, like having a garden and getting post brought to our door :)

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Yes a post code does come with a couple of advantages :)

Latest posts

Back