Beekeeper since 1982.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jokes aside, it's an interesting concept and in the paper linked by @pargyle it is suggested as something which could be licenced as a treatment. 24h of syrup with LiCl led to about 96% of the mites or more dying. However, there can be a reduction in worker lifespan - wonder if it does anything to queens or drones too though. Looks like the two candidates are either lithium chloride or lithium citrate, both at 25mM in syrup. Lithium being the active agent.

My next questions are whether this concentration is effective against nosema too and then whether it would also prevent the syrup going mouldy.

Quite impressed by the paper as they were originally looking at something else, found something which challenged their thinking and then investigated that thoroughly.

We need a forum consortium to add a little sugar and silica to sea salt and licence it. We'd make a killing.
Sounds like the residue at the bottom of a cup of sweet tea during a beach picnic on a windy day. Who needs expensive blending equipment?🙂

Right.
When the OP specified sea salt against table salt the cat jumped from the bag.
Table salt is sea salt with all the extra minerals stripped out and sold to the health industry.
So it's not salt at the heart of the illusion as Pargyle has posted.
With Oa at a fraction of a penny per dose it's cheaper than sea salt and equally unlicensed

Right.
Table salt is sea salt with all the extra minerals stripped out and sold to the health industry.
With Oa at a fraction of a penny per dose it's cheaper than sea salt and equally unlicensed
Indeed but many time safer to use.

Jokes aside, it's an interesting concept and in the paper linked by @pargyle it is suggested as something which could be licenced as a treatment. 24h of syrup with LiCl led to about 96% of the mites or more dying. However, there can be a reduction in worker lifespan - wonder if it does anything to queens or drones too though. Looks like the two candidates are either lithium chloride or lithium citrate, both at 25mM in syrup. Lithium being the active agent.
The efficacy of lithium in treating varroa has been attracting extensive discussions in France (Connexion)

A relevant drawback may well be the toxicity of lithium, in sufficient quantities, to humans.

The efficacy of lithium in treating varroa has been attracting extensive discussions in France (Connexion)

A relevant drawback may well be the toxicity of lithium, in sufficient quantities, to humans.
Ah, my earlier comment may we'll be misplaced then? :ROFLMAO:

I'll bite... If I get time this season I'll test it with a swarm if I collect any although won't risk my main colonies. Will sugar roll multiple times before and after. Teaspoon, dessert spoon, table spoon, soup spoon or serving spoon?
Dessert spoon into 5 litres of syrup. Mix when boiling. If you taste it the salt is just about evident.

Right.
Sea salt is not table salt! Suggest you do some research. Sea salt contains trace elements. Table salt is not manufactured from sea salt.

It seems very much that if someone posts something that's not agreed with them seem to get ridiculed, at the very worst a bit of salt will do no harm and if it does work to some extent great.
There are a lot of good homeopathic out there that I use daily will cattle and while the might struggle with a major infection they do quite well with minor infections.
Maybe if there are low levels of mite the salt could be enough to keep them at bay where as a more serve infection of them might need a stronger treatment.

Theres need to go off in a huff - theres no malice in this entire thread.
Posting an idea is like putting a lump of something /whatever across the frame tops - the bees will investigate and let you know if it's any good.

Be aware the cynics of this forum in particular are never reticent even by beekeepers protocol

Btw
You've thrashed around in your indignation and made the holes even bigger!

I think maybe a pinch of salt would work wonders
One dessert spoon of sea salt into boiling 5 litres of syrup. A pinch is insufficient. Table salt is unsuitable. Salt is a cleaning agent and for the past 15 years no signs of varoa in my hives.

Back