Beekeeper Attitude Survey - grateful for your input

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it ..........

Finished with London and moved to remote small farm in S. Wales - have sheep but they do have limited appeal.
Local bee keeper got my interest going and was willing to lend me kit if I bought the nuc. That was 2011. Sharp learning curve and gave away what was left at the end of the 2011 season. Gave me a flavour of what to expect.
2012 got my own kit and two nucs - had very modest harvest. Applied OA last week am now keen to see what 2013 brings.
Love this Forum, selective in what I read but read the debates with avid interest and use the information to find my on way / make my own mistakes.
Still keen but probably still have the optimism of a new(ish) bee keeper.

Finished with London and moved to remote small farm in S. Wales - have sheep but they do have limited appeal.
Local bee keeper got my interest going and was willing to lend me kit if I bought the nuc. That was 2011. Sharp learning curve and gave away what was left at the end of the 2011 season. Gave me a flavour of what to expect.
2012 got my own kit and two nucs - had very modest harvest. Applied OA last week am now keen to see what 2013 brings.
Love this Forum, selective in what I read but read the debates with avid interest and use the information to find my on way / make my own mistakes.
Still keen but probably still have the optimism of a new(ish) bee keeper.

Wecome to the forum Bunty, maybe worth you putting a post inthe welcome forum to introduce yourself to everyone. - whereabouts in South Wales are you?

Hi Bob. Yes I had a fantastic time in the Service. After training I flew the Hunter and Buccaneer for 2 tours. Then moved to the Ground Attack version of the Tornado. A spell of Weapons and Tactics instructing on the Hawk before going on exchange duty with the Royal Navy. I flew the Sea Harrier for 2 tours off HMS Invincible and HMS Ark Royal. Chivvy Street is nothing close but now I have my bees to take my mind off the lack of integrity, efficiency and reliability of civilian corporate life. Ooops.... Hobby Horse.

The worst part of beekeeping so far is the way folks on this forum sometimes leap to criticise rather than to give advice and help. It's the opposite of what I have been used to.

Jon

Was once invited to a Gala dinner dance aboard the Royal Ark in Grand Harbour Valletta . It read as follows
there will be a Gala etc aboard etc.
A cordial invitation is extended to :- All Officers and their ladies.
NCOs and their wives.
Other ranks and their women.
Our CO warned that any acceptance would be followed by the accepter speaking in a high pitched voice :)
I was stationed at RAF Takhali at the time .
VM

Should have gone. I loved the Cockers P.

I love Brandy but ginger and the trimmings er! pass :)
VM

Very much an enthusiastic newbie beekeeper - nervously watching over my 2 wintering colonies with all fingers and toes crossed for them to survive and let me enjoy the first full season with them.
I've always been fascinated by bees and when we got our own smallholding and finished building our cottage here I jumped at the chance of taking the course and getting our first nucs.

Our second winter. Did better than many last year as live near the heather, that and some Himalayan balsam, came away with about 80lbs honey so happy days. Looking forward to what this year will bring.
C

Your post is so true.

I get a lot of pleasure from a hive that on inspection has a new queen that has started laying.

I have had times when everything seems to be going so so wrong !!
Only to find on the next apiary inspection the bees have got it so so right.

This just about sums it up for me: "everything seems to be going so wrong .... and finding the bees have got it so right"

I love the bees for always confounding our weird ways of thinking, for the peacefulness and purposefulness of them, for their generally very superior ways, at least that's my take on colony life, just a perpetual marvel and inspiration. I love all the scents of them and the incredible comb they build when they freely build and the way they fuss over the drones while they can afford them. I admire all they do!!! I miss them now. The more you know them the less you know them.

The worst part of beekeeping so far is the way folks on this forum sometimes leap to criticise rather than to give advice and help. It's the opposite of what I have been used to.

Jon

I totally agree I still find it hard to come to terms with the stab you in the back and get on with it attitude, the forces teach you to support others and work as a team.

I started keeping bees to give me downtime from a stressed work life, and it does that, anytime I've had enough I'll toddle off and watch or do something.
I'm finding it unusual though when attending bka meetings, being one of the youngest there is strange.

Back