Beehive Under My Patio

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonkeeper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Today when working in the garden we noticed bees coming and going from a space next to our rear steps which leads to a void under our paved patio.

I'm concerned that either my wife or or our two springer spaniels will annoy the bees to the point of being attacked by them.

It must be a nest and I'd like advice on what to do with it, as it is so near to the back door leading into the garden.

Are they honeybees or bumble bees?

A photo will probably help. Some Bumble Bees tend to make homes in holes low down; many bumble bees are solitary and where bumble bees form a colony they are usually small - closer to 300 in number rather than the 60,000 possible in a honey bee colony. They are all important pollinators. But it is rash to make any deductions.

Bumble bees are very passive and unlikely to sting, and as already said only form small colonies. I'm not even sure if solitary bees can sting. Although they live alone they often all shack up in the same place, like lots of singles in a block of flats, so giving the appearance of a colony. Yes, a picture would help.

are they furry looking or more wasp like?

Bumble bees are very passive and unlikely to sting, and as already said only form small colonies. I'm not even sure if solitary bees can sting. Although they live alone they often all shack up in the same place, like lots of singles in a block of flats, so giving the appearance of a colony. Yes, a picture would help.

I can't post a photograph or link until I have 10 posts under my belt. I've just tried it but the one half decent image I have is on this page of my website if you can fill in the 2 missing dots of the following URL

www dunfly com/bee.htm

There's definitely a lot more than one bee but I wouldn't think thousands

they are bumble bees and will do you no harm

you can sit and watch them come and go without any risk of being stung.

I accidentally stuck a garden fork in a bumble bee nest. They hovered around me, I beat a hasty retreat through the nearest door, and watched them from the kitchen. Within about 15 minutes they were calmed down and hard at work repairing the nest.

I decided it takes a heck of a lot to get a bumble bee to sting.

You're lucky to have bees under your patio. I got the wife under mine!

Hmm.
I got stung rescuing one from a bird bath. It was trying to drown itself, and gratefully climbed up my finger and then stung me. They clearly don't like their bath times disturbed.......

Hmm.
I got stung rescuing one from a bird bath. It was trying to drown itself, and gratefully climbed up my finger and then stung me. They clearly don't like their bath times disturbed.......

OR, you interrupted it's suicide attempt by drowning so stung you so it could continue to die.

Latest posts

Back