Beehive position

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would welcome your thoughts on positioning a hive.

I currently have one hive positioned in the middle of a farmers field, however in the next few days I hope to have two new hives and I would like to have one (or two) at home in my garden.

The ideal place in my Garden for the Beehive would be in my chicken run which would site the Bees next to and parrallel to a 1.8 metre high fence(neighbours fence). The hive would be approximatley 5 metres from the back corner of our house. We have a boiler venting out the side of the house which would then be approximately 8 metres away from the Bees but there is a solid fence between this posiition forming the side of the chicken run.

We live in a Hamlet so there are fields to the rear and our neighbours have large gardens, their houses are at least 15 metres from our shared boundary.

Do you think this would be a practible solution?

What problems do you think I need to consider?

have you spoke to next door about you moving your bees do you think they will be ok with bees in the garden i believe in educating them so it is not a shock (good or bad) its always nice to get them involved some how (give them lots of honey sweeten them up
not worthybee-smillie

I don't think the main problem will be the neighbours, it will be your own access to your own house and garden. This year has been a prime example of bad tempered bees. Usually no problem but when they start they will make your life hell. Read some threads on here about how others have despaired. I have my bees 40metres from my house and their flight path is high due to the slope. I only get the odd problem but that is as close as I would go without a row of trees in between. Also consider bee sh&t all over white washing!! Funny the first time but not so funny on every sunny summers day ( or so my wife says!)
Up to you.....but too close for me!

have you spoke to next door about you moving your bees do you think they will be ok with bees in the garden i believe in educating them so it is not a shock (good or bad) its always nice to get them involved some how (give them lots of honey sweeten them up
not worthybee-smillie

I have yet to approach them, but they are "old school" and I am sure they will be pleased with the help pollinating their gardens...

My bees were in my garden, quite a distance from both the neighbours and our house.
All was OK for over a year, then a month ago the neighbour's adult daughter was visiting (does so once a week) she got stung, collapsed and had to be taken to hospital.
The bees had to be moved to an out apiary even though everyone was sad to see them depart we could not take the risk. No one knew she was allergic.
Now I know why people say it's not good to keep bees in suburban gardens.

Shoot - that's just such a cute avatar :)

My bees were in my garden, quite a distance from both the neighbours and our house.
All was OK for over a year, then a month ago the neighbour's adult daughter was visiting (does so once a week) she got stung, collapsed and had to be taken to hospital.
The bees had to be moved to an out apiary even though everyone was sad to see them depart we could not take the risk. No one knew she was allergic.
Now I know why people say it's not good to keep bees in suburban gardens.

I think that she could have been any where when a bee stung sorry to here you had to move them
now you know she must be carrying a epipen bring back your bees and enjoy them at home

Last edited:
I don't mind having the Bees at home and if it's a problem then moving them to the farm (2 miles away), clearly I don't want to do this at the expense of my neighbours.
We have four boys and it isn't always possible for them to visit the Bees at the farm so this would be an advantage for them.

I haven't mentioned a nearby outside swimming pool.....

I assumed I would face the hive North (don't know if that's a problem) away from the house so that the Bees would face away ..... like I say I don't know if it's a good idea but my wife and I would like to have at least one hive at home if it was feesable...

i would love to have an observation hive in my living room great for your boys to see and ideal for building up small colony before moving to a full hive :party:

Also consider bee sh&t all over white washing!!

Oddly enough although I have two full hives and an obs hive, thats never been a problem. Two full lines of washing approx 3 steps away from the hives..one spot the other day.

one of the neighbours say she has, but I doubt its to the extent she is making it out to be.

Ok Picked up the new nucleas in my spanking new superb quality hive

www.*****************************

I discussed Bees in the back garden with both neighbours and they both welcomed the idea of having Bees near.

So now Bees are in foraging madly, superb placid Bees on good brood (again many thanks to Peter!), and everyones happy!

Latest posts

Back