Beefarmers Membership

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alex,
as previously mentioned I attended some regional meetings as the new boy with not many hives, didn't know anybody, sat on the side lines and listened to chat about DASH, apprenticeships and pollination which although interesting I found it hard to join in as not experienced any of them. Felt out of it a bit, not involved, introduced or really acknowledged by most of the 13 experienced old hands and friends who came along. On my 80 mile journey home I reflected on the 2 hour gathering and what I had gained from it since leaving off work early and battling the rush our traffic.
I have not been to a conference yet. 2 days of a larger version of the regional meeting but further away and at more cost probably held me back.
I don't qualify for insurance or some other membership benefits so my deliberation on whether to rejoin is purely a value for money thing, £100 first year, (included a £50 joining fee ? !), £50 this year and I assume £100 for 2015 as I was told I could only be an associate for 2 years.
Again not being critical just realistic.

Have not posted on any media for quite a long time due to pressure of work and other matters including a nasty fall in late summer.

Very please to see Alex come onto the thread to shed some light on matters, especially the insurance issue which is of great importance to some members. It is not a universally taken up benefit.

I had a long chat with John Heard the day before yesterday and the insurance matter is far from finished. That the option will not be available in future is a little premature, and stems from new financial conduct rules, leading insurers to question whether provision of such cover was still possible. Since then more information has come to light and the matter is far from dead.

For those questioning whether the fees are a good buy or not, you must be aware of the huge amount being done for you behind the scenes, much of it of necessity unpublicised. If the BFA were not active in the background life would be less easy, and some awkward issues regarding our collective ability to sell honey would impinge on your work. This applies to bee farmers of all scales. The benefits are invisible yet you would be a lot worse off without us working away on issues in the background on our collective behalf.

I take no *direct* benefits whatsoever from membership of the BFA. I do not take the insurance, I do not use the group purchase scheme. I pay a highest tier membership. However, I view this rather like being a union member in an industry. Without the BFA we would be pretty well defenseless against legislators and food scares. From animal rights groups claiming cruel practices. No skilled operators actively defending us in the EU.

I will continue to pay, and for what? It is my contribution to ensuring we have a collective future, and having an association that will be able to intervene and assist if I DO happen to run into a major issue. It is bee farmer solidarity. We do not necessarily see ourselves individually gaining from it, but some day each of us might need the BFA, and we stand together when some of us are beset by problems not of their own making.

Your board members make no personal gain from their positions, most do not even claim their expenses back. We have three really excellent staff working harder for us than they strictly have to because they share our commitment to the future. Even without insurance (and that is not yet a final position) your membership is as cheap as chips, and I recommend everyone to continue.

Of course, it is indeed an option not to pay and sit outside the organisation, invisibly accruing benefits from the operating climate our organisation helps to maintain. You cannot see any directly attributable money out or money in, and feel vindicated at your decision. However, the situation in which you operate is being paid for by others who see past the very simple position that not paying and thus thinking you have saved money, leads you to believe.

As regards the lack of openness to new faces by the longer established members at regional meeting? Well that is wrong and should not happen. It will be addressed in general discussion around these matters at the next board meeting and a climate of inclusiveness should be developed. Bear with us on all the above issues.

My time in the chair ends in March, but I have no issues about mixing and talking with the newer or less experienced members. We all were thus at some time in the past. If you feel left out at the spring meeting or later come and talk to me. I can bore you as well as anyone!

I will be writing a piece for the new magazine 'Bee Farmer' we are starting to publish in place of the Bulletin on the subject of what has happened over the last few years and where we need to go in the future. The issues raised in this thread will be prominent in my thoughts.

Glad to hear alternative cover has been arranged from Jelf Insurance.

Yes very good news Bates, and what we all hive all been waiting for, i do find it a bit strange that the NFU seem to interpret the new rules differently than others though, it seems we will also be getting a better deal than before with the add ons, so well done to the BFA for all their hard work sorting this out for us members, nice to have some good news for a change.

As an update on my position.............

I rejoined as a full Tier 1 member

Its good to belong.

Good news.
I've had nothing through about it, where do I read up?

Good news.
I've had nothing through about it, where do I read up?

Also loads about it on the BFA facebook page if you go on it that is MBC

Just for you MBC

Dear BFA Member,
The BFA’s current insurance arrangements with NFU Mutual have been under review prior to insurance policy renewal in March 2015. You will recall that we contacted you in early December indicating our existing insurers NFU Mutual would not provide cover on a group basis beyond this date, citing changes in Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulations.

Since that date the Board have been exploring options with other insurance providers to try and obtain similar group-basis cover.

We have now completed this activity and can announce that cover has now been offered by a new broker - Jelf Insurance Group - based in Worcester. The terms offered are outlined below. This package offers continuing public and product liability insurance cover for all full members (other than Associate status) with additional risk cover as noted.

· A policy will be issued in the name of The Bee Farmers’ Association Limited and Members.

· This policy will be provided to members as part of a members’ insurance pack, along with supporting information including a policy summary.

· The policy will provide the following cover:

o Public Liability - £5,000,000

o Products Liability - £5,000,000

o Transit – Livestock (bees) in transit – Load Limit £2,500 any vehicle UK transits.

o Transit – Stock and Contents – Load Limit £2,500 any vehicle UK transits.

o Contents and Stock – anywhere in the UK. Contents/machinery £25,000. Stock £15,000.

o Money £2,500 in transit; in office premises £5,000. Money at other times £1,000.

o Claims will be subject to a standard policy excess of £250.

o There is no turnover limit applicable to this basic level of cover. It will apply to all full members irrespective of business size.

Please note, all full members will qualify for this basic level of cover. Any members needing cover in addition to this (eg, Employers Liability or Public Liability cover at a higher level of indemnity or Asset Cover for premises, etc) will need to contact Jelf direct. The contact telephone number will be provided as part of the membership insurance pack in addition to details on how to make a claim.

· A tailored top-up policy will be available to those members who require further risks or larger levels of indemnity, but this has to be organised direct between the member and Jelf to satisfy the new FCA regulations. The BFA cannot be involved. Each of these top-up policies will be underwritten specific to the individual member’s requirements and will be offered at discounted/competitive rates for BFA members.

· Each full member will receive an insurance certificate detailing the product and public liability cover applicable within the insurance pack.

This new insurance offering is more comprehensive than that provided previously and is fully compliant with the FCA regulations. Whilst it does come at a significant additional cost to the Association it does provide cover for the main risks associated with our members’ businesses. Cover of this nature offered separately would be at a premium of at least £200 to £300 and this therefore offers a real and significant ongoing benefit to full members of the Association.

The members’ insurance package will be distributed once renewal in March is completed.
Kind regards,
John Heard (Finance Director) and Alex Ellis (Membership and Administration)

Thanks.
Am I right in thinking I had employers liability included last year?

Someone else should answer that as I was an associate member and therefore had no insurance.
If you did have it you still do as current insurance expires in March 2015, then this one starts.

To confirm, BFA Members under the current NFU policy have very limited EL cover as part of the core policy (£1000 salary). A proportion of members paid additional optional premium to provide an appropriate realistic level of cover for their employees. EL cover continues to be available as an optional extra as noted in the information circulated but cannot continue to be offered in a blanket way going forward.

As soon as we are able to circulate full detail, we will.

Latest posts

Back