Bee swarm ‘dissuaders’

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
All - hive mind get thinking

I’ve had to use wasp nest destroyer on a feral colony that took up residence inside a wall above a window and roof that needs replacing - sadly the wall is too thick to ‘cut out’ ...

It’s taken a week to kill the old colony off and now today another fecking swarm has arrived to the site....

is there some essential oil / dissuader that people have used in the past ?

Clearly the intention was for the holes to have been cemented up by the builders (grade II listed lime mortar building) but now it’s back to square 1
S

Apifuge from Thornes has worked for me - if you spray it liberally both into any entrances and around the area of the entrances it can drive them out and repel any new-comers.

I should think the swarm will die? Fill the holes with that foam that goes solid?
Yes I thought that may be the case - depends on how much foam has gone in

I had a long chat with a pest controller who said that until last year sometime they had the option of using bendiocarb in situations like this but then it was banned - but there is a grey area about the use of it as some say it can be used on flying insects but it can’t be used on bees

I don’t have any bendiocarb before anyone suggests I may do..!?!

why the builders just can’t wear a veil I’ll never know.

On another note I saw online about a couple of beekeepers in Kent I think who rescue bees had a swarm which ‘attacked’ their neighbour and it has made the papers as he was stung after 300 bees landed on him...

very exact counting that
KR

S

I had a long chat with a pest controller who said that until last year sometime they had the option of using bendiocarb in situations like this but then it was banned - but there is a grey area about the use of it as some say it can be used on flying insects but it can’t be used on bees

On another note I saw online about a couple of beekeepers in Kent I think who rescue bees had a swarm which ‘attacked’ their neighbour and it has made the papers as he was stung after 300 bees landed on him...

very exact counting that
KR

S

Grandfather-of-three claims he was swarmed by 300 bees in his garden as he feuds with neighbours | Daily Mail Online

I suspect he ran around flapping at them.

But to be fair, not everyone likes bees as neighbours, quite reasonably.

very exact counting that
KR

S
You could try a bottle of almond essence (benzaldehyde) I guess-presuming it is not banned?

Are you sure it isn't just emerging bees from the original colony? There are bound to be some left in the comb!

Latest posts

Back