bee suits!in the shed or in the house?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've heard that keeping your bee suit in the house for long periods of time,can reduce your imunity to bee stings,is this correct? if so how?

Its the other way around I think, it can increase your sensitivity

Cant remember why but seem to recall reading it somewhere

Mines always in the truck anyway just incase you need it.

Most of mine is in the car just in case lol

Mines always in the truck anyway just incase you need it.

Me too - my bees live at my parents' house, so I find it much easier to leave my suit in the car, along with a nuc box... just in case I should be summoned to a swarm at a moments notice!

Dont forget a pair of secateurs in case a swarm is in a hedge. Didn't have a pair with me the other night. Do now.

Cann't see it myself, could be an old wifes tail.

Copied off another forum

"Always wash your suit after working the bees if you hang your suit in your household.

The problem is the dried up venom on your suit flakes off into the air, in your house and can cause the rest of your family to aquire an acute sensitivity to bee venom. Same with bee hairs and parts brought into the house on your suit. Always wash your own suit, in your own wash load"

The story goes something like this
Inhalation is the way to allergy!
Inoculation is the way to immunity!
Dried powdered venom breathed in by ones family can invoke allergic reactions .
Whereas bee stings (inoculation) builds resistance!
Apparently the family of beekeepers can develop allergies to venom from the bee keepers clothing whilst he/she, his or her self maintain their respective immunity by regularly receiving stings ;)

John Wilkinson

Time to get a big life policy then on the wife.

The story goes something like this
Inhalation is the way to allergy!
Inoculation is the way to immunity!
Dried powdered venom breathed in by ones family can invoke allergic reactions .
Whereas bee stings (inoculation) builds resistance!
Apparently the family of beekeepers can develop allergies to venom from the bee keepers clothing whilst he/she, his or her self maintain their respective immunity by regularly receiving stings ;)

John Wilkinson

Oh poo - what a load of twaddle!

I'm still struggling with what 666Bees said:

"Cann't see it myself, could be an old wifes tail."

An old wife's tail sounds really quite ugly and unpleasant...I wouldn't want to inhale that.

Sam :)

So I found this intriguing and went off to Google.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...TfVogec&sig=ziJcfNV9r7JT36omvVFe6zAkfA4&hl=en

This explains why inhalation of venom can be so effective.

The following talks extensively about bee venom. Section 7.11 talks about protective masks etc to avoid inhalation of bee venom as this could be very negative.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e18.htm

Caution
Collecting bee venom requires careful work with the highest degree of cleanliness,
since the venom will be injected directly without further processing or sterilization.
Protection of the collector against the disturbed bees and highly irritative dry venom is
very important, too. Since people up to several hundred meters away might get stung by the
highly irritated bees, further precautions at the time of collection in the apiary must be
considered.
When handling dry venom, laboratory gowns, gloves and face masks should be worn to
avoid getting venom dust into the eyes and lungs. All equipment should be carefully washed
afterwards. Contact between other people and contaminated material should be avoided
People who do not regularly handle bees, who only get stung occasionally or are exposed
occasionally to venom dust, run the risk of developing allergies.

Using bee stings for self-treatment of various diseases can be risky, because allcrgies
to bee venom can be developed quickly even after long periods of use. An emergency kit
(see section 7.7) or quick access to an emergency service should always be available. No
other side-effects have been reported, but regular supervision, check-ups and controls
should be continued with competent doctors trained in apitherapy.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2222.2000.00885.x/full

This actually mentions the risk with bee suits and beekeeper's families (but cannot get the specific section without payment so you'll just have to trust me on this one 8) )

And finally an easy explanation:

http://theweekendbeekeeper.com/tag/bee-venom/

So there does seem to be a lot of detailed and interesting research in this area.

All the best,
Sam

I vote for in the house, went to get the spare suit which isn't used much from out the shed only to find a mouse had decided to eat suit and flaky bee venon, I wonder if it realised the danger.

Latest posts

Back