bee suits!in the shed or in the house?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from Annila, Clinical & Experimental Allergy Volume 30, Issue 12, pages 1682–1687, December 2000

"Beekeepers and their family members may be sensitized to bee venom through inhalation as well as stings"

Cann't see it myself, could be an old wifes tail.

It is to do with inhaled dust from bees triggering your immune system. There are a few research papers out there. For example:

Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine Volume 78 March 1985. Allergy to insect stings: a review, Pamela W Ewan MB MRCP
A few patients, usually beekeepers, become sensitized by the inhalant route to allergens derived from the insect bodies. These are distinct from the allergens in venom. These patients have inhaled 'bee-dust' while working amongst bees.

Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 5:343–347, Bee venom allergy in beekeepers and their family members, Ulrich R. Muller
It has been suggested [8] that during their work
in the beehive, atopic beekeepers get more easily sensi-
tized than non-atopic beekeepers, most likely through
inhalation of bee dust or multiple stings.

Clinical Allergy, 1975, Volume 5, pages 389-395, Clinical and immunological studies of beekeepers
IgE antibodies to both bee venom and whole bee body protein were found in some beekeepers. There was a poor correlation between the levels of these antibodies, suggesting that in general they are reacting with different antigenic determinants. In contrast to the findings with bee venom IgE antibodies, the level of whole bee body IgE was similar in beekeepers with and without reactions. This finding supports the importance of bee venom antigens in the etiology of systemic allergic reactions.
As beekeepers are exposed to inhalation of bee 'dust' as well as frequent stings, this finding of antibody production to bee body proteins is not unexpected.​

The original source of the suggestion may be reference [8] above which is
Comparison of the Atopic Background between Allergic and Non-Allergic Beekeepers, S. Miyachi, M.H. Lessof, D.M. Kemeny, L.A. Green Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2005, 5:343–347​
but I do not have free access to that article and am unwilling to pay $38.

Paul

Keeping it in the house and continually leaving it in the washing pile can increase irritation from the other half

Last edited:
Show some evidence to the contrary then

Who was the guy that used to sell queens - John Furzey - his wife become allergic.

ADam

I Love This thread. It's the most entertaining thread I have read in ages.
Incidentally, just in case it's not the total b*ll*cks it seems, I'm going to keep my bee suit in the car or shed from now on.

Keep it under the bonnet, that way it is nice and warm when needed, and the pollen filter in the car ventilation system will protect the rest of the family :smilielol5:

The lab research all sounds interesting, but surely the kind of levels of dried venom present on the suit and thus, potentially, in the air in your house would be so miniscule that they would hardly even be detectable?

I Love This thread. It's the most entertaining thread I have read in ages.
Incidentally, just in case it's not the total b*ll*cks it seems, I'm going to keep my bee suit in the car or shed from now on.

Best to wear a dust mask when you are wearing it too.

Last edited:
Keep it under the bonnet, that way it is nice and warm when needed, and the pollen filter in the car ventilation system will protect the rest of the family :smilielol5:

Pollen filter?

The lab research all sounds interesting, but surely the kind of levels of dried venom present on the suit and thus, potentially, in the air in your house would be so miniscule that they would hardly even be detectable?

Correct, and so is house dust and look at how many are allergic to that. My wife is allergic as soon as she enters the house of someone with a cat. Miniscule maybe, but breathed in does eventually raise you risk of developing an allergy.

Adam

A device in modern cars to filter out pollen grains . Should be cleaned/exchanged at regular intervals !

John Wilkinson

I know, John. But really. The more we separate ourselves from our environment, the less able we are to live within it.

:iagree::iagree:
I know, John. But really. The more we separate ourselves from our environment, the less able we are to live within it.

We are far too clean these days. I know its not bees but look at the work they are doing with peanut allergy sufferers, trying to de sensitise them by giving small amounts of the allergen i.e peanuts.

I wonder why with bee venom that even those who get stung regularly with no reaction can eventually end up having a full blown reaction.

:iagree::iagree:

We are far too clean these days. I know its not bees but look at the work they are doing with peanut allergy sufferers, trying to de sensitise them by giving small amounts of the allergen i.e peanuts.

I wonder why with bee venom that even those who get stung regularly with no reaction can eventually end up having a full blown reaction.

The trouble is, parents wipe their children constantly these days with anti-bacterial wipes and therefore the key stage of our lives for developing our immune system must surely be compromised.

Just out of interest seriously how much bee venom would one expect to be on a suit, so far this season I have had three attempted (and successful) stings all on my hands, none on or through the suit.

What I'm trying to say is 'perspective'

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back