bee suit question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.
Can any one tell me why bee suit veils are black does any one use a white {or any other colour} veil? If bees are supposed to hate black why make our face the target :( . I'm sure there is a simple explanation but it's something that has been puzzling me for a while ;)
thanks all

Yes they do not like black.
When I take photos with my little black camera they try and sting it.

Try looking through white material - it's really difficult to see anything. It's a visibility thing.

Adam

Thanks for the replies, I look through my white net curtains easily enough , and I have never tested whether they like black or not it was something I heard from other bee keepers.
The reason for my question is I have some strong green netting which would do the job and I can see through it ok , was just curious as to why all the veils I have seen are black ;) maybe the makers got a job lot of black hehe:)

Thanks for the replies, I look through my white net curtains easily enough , and I have never tested whether they like black or not it was something I heard from other bee keepers.
The reason for my question is I have some strong green netting which would do the job and I can see through it ok , was just curious as to why all the veils I have seen are black ;) maybe the makers got a job lot of black hehe:)

No Fincaazul has it exactly.
You will see much more clearly through a matt dark mesh than you will through a 'net curtain' veil. Especially outdoors in the sun.
Take your net curtain outside, into the sun, put it over your head and try to read a newspaper through that 'veil'. Repeat the experiment with your bee-veil.

:iagree:
Even a UV degraded (faded) veil is difficult to see through , especially at my age when the eggs of the modern bee are so much smaller than the bees eggs of my youth !
VM

I thought it was blue they didn't like.
Whenever I have been stung I have been wearing blue. Mind you I do wear blue a lot. :leaving:

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.
Can any one tell me why bee suit veils are black does any one use a white {or any other colour} veil? If bees are supposed to hate black why make our face the target :( . I'm sure there is a simple explanation but it's something that has been puzzling me for a while ;)
thanks all

It is about vision, but the bees do go for dark areas on mammals when attacking, as they are eyes, ears, etc. I'd have thought if vision was not an issue, eyes would be better targets for the bees.

Victor

especially at my age when the eggs of the modern bee are so much smaller than the bees eggs of my youth !

....have you also noticed that a full national brood box weighs a lot more than it used too?

richard

Victor

especially at my age when the eggs of the modern bee are so much smaller than the bees eggs of my youth !

....have you also noticed that a full national brood box weighs a lot more than it used too?

richard

But they're not as well made as in the good old days!

Thank you all , at least now I know and my green netting will be used for other things :) Have to keep looking for some strong black netting;)

I have a replacement hood this year with the mesh being pale green. So far much better than previous black mesh. I have poor bright light vision so it just might be my eyes.

Baggy

Back