Bee sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took two stings today on the left ankle. :nopity:

I suspected the hive was queenless last time I visited as they we're very feisty on the frames and in my face and no signs of eggs, I put in a test frame of eggs.

Today as soon as I approached the hive they were ready and waiting 4 of them distracted my attention as they bounced of my veil and two went for my ankles scoring direct hits just as I had the roof off and was laying it on the floor behind the hive with my trousers lifted enough to fly in.

I decided as I had little protection against further attacks it would be wise to put the roof back on and return another day.:leaving:

Bees 2 : Victim 0
bee-smillie

Sympathies....but less for not wearing wellies/riggers. I went through a double brood yesterday building up on a new queen to find two full frames of capped drone brood in worker cells (and some capped worker brood). Drones hatching not workers so is this a drone layer in the making...hmm. Dealt with the cells as that's a load of mouths to feed and we're (hopefully) finished mating here for the year.

But would that be enough to make them grotty? Or was the breeze an issue? Saying that for all their stotting around my veil and running on the frames I only took one or two on the fingers (tasteful pink Sainbuggers closefit gloves doncha know).

Pinched some of the bees for three Keilers...and some lone bee zapped me through the suit on the forearm in the beeshed. Now that ISN'T playing ball.

lol...wait until it's nasty out and you just HAVE to work the hives. That happened one weekend. I had to get a couple of nucs together, for a customer. A storm was coming in, but I thought I had time, since it was still pretty sunny and hot. That storm came in faster than I had anticipated. I had one nuc wrapped up and was working on the other when it cut loose. The winds howled and the rain poured...and the bees went straight for my legs. More specifically, my inner thighs! I was hopping around like a crazy person! And no, I was not lady like. I was cussing up a storm! I put everything back as fast as I could and raced back to my vehicle. The girls were literally clinging to me. I swatted them off, hopped into the Blazer and got out as fast as I could. I took well over 20 stings that evening. I wasn't a happy camper. I had taken my antihistimine, but I was still swollen for the next few days. Lesson learned! I'll never work another hive when it even, remotely, looks stormy!

Yup, been caught by a brief heavy shower. Disadvantage of having some hives by a tallish field hedge! Both of us were wearing small swarmloads under our arms and down our backs. Fortunately they were well behaved. Considering. They were brushed off in the beeshed and hopefully found home later.

And there are some women on here DTG ;).

I got my first sting yesterday. I feel so proud:hurray:

Does the amount/concentration of the venom vary with the mood of a hive?

Mine are very chilled out and the sting was likewise very mild but its interesting to note the different reactions that people have to stings. Have there been any studies on this?

Mine are very chilled out and the sting was likewise very mild but its interesting to note the different reactions that people have to stings. Have there been any studies on this?

If you want I will send you some of my bees from the hive that got me nicely to test the theory. :)

What a kind offerbee-smillie. such a shame royal mail is too unreliable to send live bees:willy_nilly:

Varies with the age of the bee (at least to start with), and where the sting is. Swelling tends to come up later the next day in my experience....

Susbees

Fair cop, know when I'm losing, just like a bloke, never know when to shut up, all the best duck,Lol...DTG.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back