bee sting remedy from a beekeeper's best friend...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gardenbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
:eek:Slushy, indulgent post warning, but still true: I've changed my avatar in honour of Tia, after discovering that her friendly lick seems to have completely stopped the bee sting on my arm from itching!

I don't normally put anything on stings except sometimes ice. I've heard of a lot of different remedies (toothpaste, raw potato, onion, meat tenderiser etc etc.) but never doggy kisses. Unhygienic I expect, but effective... or maybe I'm just kidding myself!

It's not unhygienic at all, I'll get my dog to do that if I get a sting. Might have to put some meat paste or something on it though!

Beautiful dog by the way.

She's lovely - but has a regrettable tendency to eat bees given the chance!
She's not allowed up the veg patch/apiary end of the garden so hasn't seen the bees en masse, which I'm sure is just as well.

She's lovely - but has a regrettable tendency to eat bees given the chance!
She's not allowed up the veg patch/apiary end of the garden so hasn't seen the bees en masse, which I'm sure is just as well.

When he was like this:

medium.jpg

He could not care about bees

Now he looks like this:

medium.jpg

He wants to jump and catch every bee that goes by.

Then we go this bundle of joy:

medium.jpg

Who turned out out to be this monster of a bee catcher:

medium.jpg

Strange why they all love to chase bees. I will let them lick (depending on location!) the next sting and see what happens

Last edited:
Lovely dogs, its something in the saliva, my old boy swears his gashed knee healed quicker due to the dog applying a swift lick when he wasnt looking. Stands to reason really, wild dogs with wounds will lick wounds to keep clean etc.

Yay, a GSD thread...

IMG_5136.jpg

you can see which one of these three was blessed with good looks at the expense of a fully functioning brain :rofl:

Not a breed I trust at all sorry to say but there is a definite something about dogs saliva.

Our whippet is the medic in the house and if he finds we have a sore bit it gets his undivided attention until he is satisfied with it.

PH

Not a breed I trust at all sorry to say

PH

I have 4 German sheperds and i trust them with my life, and with the lives of my wife and children. I know for a fact they would lay their lives down to save ours. Twice now they have gotten in between me and burlgers in my photo studio and seen them off.

I dont however trust them with people outside the family circle. But that said they are more friendly than some bees i know :D

Edit: Its not the dogs i dont trust with other people, its other people i dont trust, their reaction/fear to large dogs can cause large dogs to pick up on this fear and play on it.

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one! Tia's brains go out the window when she sees a bee: bumblebees as well as honeybees. My garden is heaving with Hymenoptera at the moment - all the mining bees are out in force, bumblebees are getting going, huge queen wasps are prowling about, and there are bee-flies too. The latter are too quick for Tia, but honeybees aren't always so lucky. She will also polish off any odd "followers" that have taken exception to my hive manoeuvres, but fortunately this is rare with my bees.

PH you are probably right to be wary of some GSDs, depending on their owner and/or breeder. But these days most pet shepherds are very reliable. They are no longer the fashionable hard-man-idio t's dog of choice, that dubious honour having now apparently passed to bull breeds. Such fashions sadly tend to spoil the gene pool of a breed as well as the reputation. I think GDSs have recovered fairly well now, but 20 or so years ago there were quite a lot of shy, snappy, poorly-bred ones about. NB I used to have a whippet, along with my previous GSD. They were inseparable, but very different in character. The whippet was almost like a cat in some respects - fond of the good life, and playing with string! Both of them used to play with the two cats, and each other, for hours. But only the GSD would chase and eat bees [whippets being a great deal smarter than they're given credit for].

What I find a mystery is why so many creatures try to eat bees despite the obvious risks of a sting on the tender part of the face. I wonder if there's some useful mineral in them or something. Or maybe it's just best to snap 'em up before they do any damage!

I would go with PH on this one, ive known too many bite n run germans in the past. I wouldnt trust them at all.

Good old lurcher is what you want, they can even catch your supper for you :D

Not a breed I trust at all sorry to say but there is a definite something about dogs saliva.

Our whippet is the medic in the house and if he finds we have a sore bit it gets his undivided attention until he is satisfied with it.

PH

they were exactly my opinion before MrsTaff wore me down and I agreed to get ours. I soon realised that she has a fantastic temperment and they do things differently to other dogs, for example if you see/hear two GSD's playing together you would be convinced that all's not well, they are so vocal it sound horrendous.

our friend's Police dog on the other hand is very different, I wouldn't trust that thing as far as I could kick it, she really is properly unhinged :eek:

Just look at the 4 of them, how could you not trust such loving happy faces :D

medium.jpg

I'm not a dog person at all but I do have a soft spot for whippets, Don't see many around at all nowadays. Any reason for their apparent drop in popularity?

Please dont let dogs lick your wounds there body fluid is in no way an antisptic to the human take it from me (paramedic) you are just asking for infection to set in we use and swear by the after bite pen sticks you can get from boots e-bay ect much much more effective and cleaner than letting fido lick it just after he has licked next doors dogs bum.
alan

Just look at the 4 of them, how could you not trust such loving happy faces :D

Gorgeous dogs!
(and don't worry about the crashed whippet - they're constructed of a unique combination of rubber and string;))

Despite the adorability of our faithful friends I'm afraid Alan42 is probably right - I'm not planning on letting Tia slurp at any open wounds any time soon. But the effect on the bee sting was quite interesting.

Not surprising that dog lick is calming for bee stings - but I wonder if human lick is too! Try your own or partners next time!!

Latest posts

Back