Bee Spring Clean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaddoll18

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello, Wendnesday this week was a nice warm sunny day and I was itching to go see my bees flying, unfortunatly I didn't get chance. I went see my beehive on thursday, it had been quite a warm morning and the sun had been shining it had gone cold when i got there and was starting to rain so the bees were inside. I noticed lots of dead bees on the floor outside (maybe 100 or so) my question is do the bees start to have a spring clean now its a bit warmer or should I be worried about my dead?

mine have also been bringing out the dead when they can, i believe from reading other threads that it is not unusual to loose around 50 bee's per day at this time of year.
i would say just make sure they still have plenty of food.!

Oh thanks, I have fed them fondant but they haven't eaten any. It's not on the frames though its on the crown board. Do you think they're not hungry or can't be bothered looking for it. Its been there 2 weeks!bee-smillie

Oh thanks, I have fed them fondant but they haven't eaten any. It's not on the frames though its on the crown board. Do you think they're not hungry or can't be bothered looking for it. Its been there 2 weeks!bee-smillie
i have fondant on and its been on for about 1 month, they started to eat it about a week ago so perhaps just starting to need it.

I have fed them fondant but they haven't eaten any

My question would be why? Did the hive heft light? A 14 x 12, fully provisioned in the autumn should not yet be depleted of stores.

should I be worried about my dead?

No.

There should not be many dead bees in your hive. Some expect there to be thousands, but that should not necessarily occur. The mortality rate will shortly increase sharply, as nearly all the bees in your colony will be dead by about six weeks after the colony gets going strongly. There will be an inevitable dip in colony numbers until the brood starts to emerge to give the normal spring increase.

Regards, RAB

Back