bee shelter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is very like an out door oven, and very similar to the house picture but the door is screwed on.
saw it at a nature reserve near Lurgan in N.Ireland while visiting with the kids

it is very like an out door oven, and very similar to the house picture but the door is screwed on.
saw it at a nature reserve near Lurgan in N.Ireland while visiting with the kids

You've answered the question then - it's either an oven (bread ovens were often communal and built outdoors) or a pigsty - my photograph was of a pigsty at Saint Fagans museum - originally at Hendre Ifan Prosser (the hoestead of Ifan Prosser) in Glanmorgan

Just wondering....you're not talking about a clochán are you? They are called beehive huts or shelters, but they were for people to live in.
I wonder if that's where the confusion is creeping in ? Beehive shelters being of 'beehive shape' - not for keeping a beehive within ...
LJ

no they are definitely for keeping bees in i asked what they were and was told a beehive shelter to place hives inside,but no one was able to explain how they worked.

Take a look at the excellent documentary 'More Than Honey' - there's some beautiful bee shelters featured - both historic and up to date.

no they are definitely for keeping bees in i asked what they were and was told a beehive shelter to place hives inside,but no one was able to explain how they worked.

Yes, but you cannot always depend on the guide getting the facts right either. A colleague of mine went to Alnwick Castle a few years ago to be told by the guide that a 'Fuller' was so called because he was paid to spend all day drinking ale until he was full then peeing into a bucket to supply urine for the dyeing process!

i contacted the site it seems they are a unique one of a kind concept, and to be trialed next year lol

but thank you all for your help. i will go back in a year or so and see how they go.

Worker x

i contacted the site it seems they are a unique one of a kind concept, and to be trialed next year lol ...

Does that mean it's a new building? Can't you contact them again and ask for a photo? I'm curious.
Kitta

Hi i have been keeping for 3 years now and LOVE it.
would love some advice I have recently seen large stone structures used for housing beehives just wondering if anyone knows how and if a beehive stone shelter works

worker
Put a hive in your garage and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back