Bee Hives on Allotments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a related point, how many of us have been stung by a foraging honeybee? in my experience they are totally absorbed in what they are trying to do, and totally ignore me.

The only bees which ping are those defending their space around the hive, which generally is no more than a couple of metres. Occasionally one may follow me and ping away from the hives, but thats very occasionally, and I have to be near the hive to grab its attention to begin with.

If a hive is screened off and 15-20' away from anyone, I really cannot see those bees bothering those people. Unless its a particularly tetchy hive, which we wouldnt put up with regardless of where it was being kept. Then the answer is to requeen, perhaps removing it from the public site until their behaviour improves.

Anyway, i just wanted to see if that experience is mirrored here, or if anyone has ever had a foraging bee start pinging them for no reason?

This kind of attitude does irritate me. Why assume the bees/allotment holders will come into conflict?

Why should it irritate?

And as for the assumption, because they often do. I could go as far as substituting often with almost invariably.
You just have to look through numerous threads on here.

If you have an alternative site....which you must have....
Put them there in the first place?

It's very hard to find the 'ideal' site. Especially for people living in cities. Allotments are better than most urban gardens and a lot of people do keep bees on allotments without issues. I'd say allotments are ideal, but they can work and for many people are the only available option.

:iagree: The only think I would add, is, to be prepared to re-queen quickly if things go wrong.

Why should it irritate?

And as for the assumption, because they often do. I could go as far as substituting often with almost invariably.

:iagree:

MandF, mishaps , and unforseen circumstances do happen. There was a routine visit from the SBI, and for the next couple of days the bees on the allotments went haywire. Turned out, I have reasoned, that a hive with a just mated Q went queenless. Bees probably killed her. It was sorted, and the hive is sweet now, but i was inexperienced and should have said to SBI, don't touch!
I agree about foraging bees.

Why should it irritate?

Because it does. That beekeepers should be expected to modify their behaviour just because something problematic might happen.

And its not like allotment holders wont be encountering biting and stinging insects all the time, plus they should appreciate honeybees if they are farming, so if anything accept the occasional ping (if it did happen) as a part of the deal.

We get the same "oh they might go bad so you shouldnt keep bees in your garden" stuff too.

Go in with your eyes open, understand what might happen and be prepared. Thats what we do as beekeepers all the time anyway.

And as for putting them in the alternative place, what if thats a lot further away? What if the allotment association has ASKED you to keep bees there?

MandF, mishaps , and unforseen circumstances do happen.

I accept that totally. Still not a reason for not TRYING it. Sounds like your allotment association accepted the drama in a pragmatic way. Sometimes people can shock and be like that :)

Go in with your eyes open, understand what might happen and be prepared. Thats what we do as beekeepers all the time anyway.

And as for putting them in the alternative place, what if thats a lot further away? What if the allotment association has ASKED you to keep bees there?[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

I would advise against putting your bee hive on your allotment. I ended up with a queenless hive last year resulting in an aggressive colony with attendant bee stings to fellow allotment holders. Have now moved colony away.

Because it does. That beekeepers should be expected to modify their behaviour just because something problematic might happen.

And as for putting them in the alternative place, what if thats a lot further away? What if the allotment association has ASKED you to keep bees there?

You are asking allotment holders to modify their behaviour to accommodate your bees,though.

If your alternative site is further away that's neither here nor there.

But I hadn't spotted the fact that your allotment holders asked to have those bees. I should read more carefully.

If a sting results from an unexpected A&E visit then the only choice is to move them, but you do need to be prepared for that to happen so an unpopulated space has to be be always be the best first choice option.

You are asking allotment holders to modify their behaviour to accommodate your bees,though.

If your alternative site is further away that's neither here nor there.

But I hadn't spotted the fact that your allotment holders asked to have those bees. I should read more carefully.

I dont have bees on an allotment, never have. My bees arent involved here at all. They sit at the end of my garden (shock-horror).

I am not asking allotment holders to modify their behaviour on two levels;

First there is no guarantee they will have any issue with the allotment bees, so no modification needs to be made by anyone.

Second, as allotment holders they will come across biting and stinging insects already.

What I would be asking, if it were me in this situation, is that people give it a go and see how it pans out.

Also, there is a difference, I believe, between an allotment association, and all the allotment holders?

If a sting results from an unexpected A&E visit then the only choice is to move them, but you do need to be prepared for that to happen so an unpopulated space has to be be always be the best first choice option.

I would agree, but then it does seem to be a bit back to front this - who is doing who a favour by putting bees on an allotment exactly!?

Do allotment bees produce more honey than average? or better tasting honey?

On a related point, how many of us have been stung by a foraging honeybee? in my experience they are totally absorbed in what they are trying to do, and totally ignore me.

Anyway, i just wanted to see if that experience is mirrored here, or if anyone has ever had a foraging bee start pinging them for no reason?

No ... usually hundreds on my raspberry canes ... very long flowering season and normally there will be flowers and fruit on them together... I have to pick them whilst the bees are foraging - never even had so much as a ping or a bump ... normally will just let you move around them or even brush them out of your way.

I think it is more to do with flight paths changing depending on forage available as much as you try to control it and lift them if the allotment is large then the can end up back at head height before they leave the allotment limits.

:thanks:

WOW, thanks for all the replies and encouragement. You've got me thinking!

This is a fairly new allotment society, formed four years ago, successful in applying for a Big Lottery (National) and Local Food Grant. Started planting and creating the site 18 months ago.

The allotment holders, welcome bees to pollinate their crops, and there is talk of creating an apple orchard on-site, with remaining land, which they would like bees for. The site is 1 arce, with 20 plots, situated very very rurally, surrounded by OSR and potatoes, on all sides. Also in the future, some allotment holders, would like to receive training, understand Beekeeping.

As a Committee Member, our "rules and regulations" and very thin, copied most vanilla style with no alterations from the sample agreements from NSALG.

Very small Committee (me and two others), most just want to grow veg, rather than deal with the paperwork, and rules and regs!

As a Beekeeper, who's Bees are currently many miles away (shared with two others), I wanted to bring, and setup new colonies/apiary nearer my home (and allotment). I could put in my front garden, I've got very large trees/hedge at the front of my house (8-10ft high)

I could jump over the hedge at allotments, and locate on the actual field with OSR (outside the allotment, and very few would know they were there!)

I still need to check the allotment boundaries to check if there is enough "working" space for Hives, as already decided not to actually locate on actual plots.

I did contact my local BKAs, and asked if anyone would like to put bees on the site, but offer was declined, because of security to site, and being in the middle of no where, and isolated, in fear of hives being stolen of vandalized.

or could just clean current hives, and site them with no bees (waiting locally for offers!) and see what the general feeling is at allotment sites.

thanks for your comments

In Newcastle the council were very supportive but wanted a set of rules/guidelines for beekeepers to follow. Below is the outcome.

Having an out apiary in case of problems would be a possible addition.

Newcastle Allotments Bee Group (NABG)
rules, recommendations and advice for Allotment honeybeekeeping

Introduction
Beekeeping is an intriguing and fascinating hobby. In addition to producing honey, bees provide a highly valuable pollination resource.
Allotments are of course communal urban spaces, they therefore require a responsible and well managed approach to beekeeping. The objective of the information below is to assist such an approach, by reassuring and avoiding conflicts of interest with other users and neighbours.

Background
Newcastle City Council manages allotments in a unique devolved three way decision making process. The three groups are the Council, working through the Allotment Officer, the Newcastle Allotment Working Group (NAWG) and the individual associations. Beekeeping is encouraged by the council through its Bee Strategy. The Allotment Working group has set up the Newcastle Allotment Bee Group to support beekeeping. However individual Associations are the final decision makers about beekeeping on their own sites.

Best Practice Rules
Approval –Prospective beekeepers must consult and seek the approval of their own association before commencing beekeeping and agree to follow any rules stipulated. Associations may need to amend their constitution to allow beekeeping.

British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) Membership – Full Membership of a local BBKA recognised beekeepers association is mandatory. It provides essential 3rd party insurance up to £5 million as well many other benefits. Evidence of membership must be made available on request.

Contacts – Beekeepers should ensure that up to date contact details are easily available to an association, ideally being posted within the site in case of emergency . In cases of absence contact details of competent “cover” should be provided.

Training – Prospective allotment beekeepers should be able to satisfy an association of their competence. Evidence may include completion of a beekeeping course , longstanding experience or supervision by an experienced mentor .

Number of Hives – Each association will determine the upper limit of bee colonies per plot and per site based on individual site conditions. Considerations will include equity, availability of forage and minimizing inconvenience to others.
Hive Location - Entrances should not face onto paths or nearby housing. The site should be agreed with an association and chosen to minimize inconvenience to others. Risks of vandalism and theft should be considered.

Hive Management
Care – Bees should be managed to ensure the well being of both the bees and other allotment holders and neighbours. Competent care and control of bees is expected at all times.
Swarming - Beekeepers should monitor and take prevention measures to avoid swarming. Effective arrangements to promptly deal with a swarm are essential.
Disease – Beekeepers should be able to recognise diseased colonies, treat using latest guidance from FERA’s National Bee Unit and immediately contact the local bee inspector if a notifiable disease is suspected .
Temperament – Beekeepers should ensure that docile strains are kept.

Water – A water source must be available on each plot keeping bees.

Failure to comply –Non compliance with an association’s rules may result in a request to remove hives from a site.

Recommendations
Mentoring – It is highly recommended that novice beekeepers seek a mentoring arrangement with an experienced beekeeper especially in their first year.

Number of Hives - A recommended maximum limit of 2 colonies per full plot with the temporary addition of one nucleus colony is suggested. The number of hives per site is recommended at a maximum of 3 per acre with consideration given to the proximity of other allotment sites. Evidence for this recommendation is based on the experience of several other beekeeping associations working in conjunction with Local Authorities.

Hive Management –
• When acquiring a colony, local bees are often considered most suitable. Beekeepers should ensure that new colonies are disease free to prevent cross infection.
• Potential beekeepers should be aware of the time involved in beekeeping and be able to actively manage hives on a weekly basis between April and September.
• Fencing/screening in order to raise the bees’ flight path above head height is recommended.
• When carrying out hive inspections chose appropriate times and weather conditions when others users are least likely to be inconvenienced.
• Registration with BeeBase is recommended. BeeBase is run by the National Bee Unit on behalf of DEFRA providing free access to the regional bee inspector and other resources.
• Beekeepers should have a clear understanding of the triggers for stinging: weather, clothing and odour can all be factors, and ensure others are aware of this information. Awareness of potentially severe allergic responses to bee stings is needed. Appropriate responses should be clearly understood. However, individuals claiming a severe reaction as a factor in objecting to beekeeping are requested to supply medical evidence of such to an association.
• Risks to bees from spraying herbicides and pesticides should be discussed with association committees.
• Beekeepers should be prepared to work with other plot holders and neighbours to raise interest in beekeeping.

forgot to add this Allotment is not managed by Parish Council or Local Council.

Managed by the Association, but I like the rules... (the rules seem common sense to me as a Beekeeper, and member of local BKA!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back