Bee colony map?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakedapiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am sure last year I came across something to with Beebase that showed you how many colonies were around your area if you gave it a postcode but I can't find it.

Does anyone recall this or have a link?

I am sure last year I came across something to with Beebase that showed you how many colonies were around your area if you gave it a postcode but I can't find it.

When you look at the SBI's notes about your apiary on the far left it tells you how many apiaries are around your area but no maps for security purposes.

When you look at the SBI's notes about your apiary on the far left it tells you how many apiaries are around your area but no maps for security purposes.

They cannot divulge specifics under the Data Protection Act.

AND.... not every beekeeper divulges their apiary(s) location(s) or registers on Beebase

as I stumbled upon 4 beehives in the most dilapidated of condition not 100 m from some of my own..... apparently abandoned according to the new landowner... no sign of bees.. so landowner closed entrances off... and is trying to find out who they belong to before putting a match to them!

Yeghes da

AND.... not every beekeeper divulges their apiary(s) location(s) or registers on Beebase

as I stumbled upon 4 beehives in the most dilapidated of condition not 100 m from some of my own..... apparently abandoned according to the new landowner... no sign of bees.. so landowner closed entrances off... and is trying to find out who they belong to before putting a match to them!

Yeghes da

If you're selling honey, Trading Standards prefer you to be registered on beebase.

If you're selling honey, Trading Standards prefer you to be registered on beebase.

Talking to TS last week and the lady never mentioned that... in fact not even particularly concerned about covert imports ( of honey) from Espana:nono:

Yeghes da

Cheers, it would be nice if they'd narrow it as far as first part of post code but I'm amazed there are over 200 hives registered within 10km of me. There's a couple of streets I walk the dog past where I can smell bees but they don't appear to belong to anyone in the local association - not that they're obliged to of course.

Cheers, it would be nice if they'd narrow it as far as first part of post code but I'm amazed there are over 200 hives registered within 10km of me. There's a couple of streets I walk the dog past where I can smell bees but they don't appear to belong to anyone in the local association - not that they're obliged to of course.

Might be out of date information.

Cheers, it would be nice if they'd narrow it as far as first part of post code but I'm amazed there are over 200 hives registered within 10km of me...
200 apiaries, not hives, is what it shows.

It gives an idea, and 200ish is typical for built up areas, it's what we see around London suburbs. Within 10 km as a circle is over 300 square kilometres, so it's not that alarming. Basic geometry, other things being equal, gives you around a quarter that total for within 5 km. Drawing circles can be an interesting exercise to do on an online map. Average hives per beekeeper in BBKA surveys probably gives you an average of around 2 or 3 hives per "apiary".

I wouldn't take the numbers as a very accurate survey though. The database, and registration, was never designed to be an accurate census. It's basically a contact list for bee inspectors to ring round if they find a disease outbreak. Increased numbers over the recent years is a reflection of campaigns to register rather than any evidence of increased bee numbers. There are still many unregistered beekeepers which would increase numbers on the one hand plus beekeepers who registered some time ago who have expanded since and not updated their numbers. On the other there are beginners who were encouraged to register in recent years and have since given up. There is no obvious mechanism for removing records when an ex-beekeeper has lost interest and you have to remember BBKA records show churn of over 4000 members a year.

An apiary might be one hive or twenty...

Latest posts

Back