Beading

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom8400

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So I stood a poly nuc aside yesterday eve while I done a job, I put both back yesterday night and left them shut in got home this eve and thought I best let them out, 18:30ish.

They have now decided tonight is a good time to bead the front of the nuc, despite me telling them it's going to get cold and I thought they could tell the time and think sod it we will stay in like the other nuc.

Whys bees whyIMG_0654.JPG

Perhaps some of your bees have a flatulence problem?

Yes but I think I'd have preferered that than freezing my wings off. There's even more now doh

So I stood a poly nuc aside yesterday eve while I done a job, I put both back yesterday night and left them shut in got home this eve and thought I best let them out, 18:30ish.

They have now decided tonight is a good time to bead the front of the nuc, despite me telling them it's going to get cold and I thought they could tell the time and think sod it we will stay in like the other nuc.

Whys bees whyView attachment 25326
Maybe as you shut them in and the disturbance of moving to one side led to increased activity in the box. This could have led to a rise in CO2 in the hive so fanning / bearding was their way of restoring homeostasis and the right balance of oxygen to carbon dioxide in the box? Only thing I can think of, but presume they have an Openmeshfloor, which should have helped prevent this, was this compromised in its temporary position....? If not, probably just due to the disturbance of their box being moved and coming out to defend.

Open mesh floor they were only stood aside for a couple of hours. Yet they decided to stay there all night, obviously they're don't look to clever now.

I will have to pop lid (as much as I don't want to) as it's a clear cb but I don't think they were that short of space.

Full of mysteries this game

Latest posts

Back