BBKA Winter Survey 12-13

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellypatt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Q6: How many splits or increases...did you make between October 2012 and April 1st 2013?

:confused: does anybody really make splits or increases from colonies between these dates?

Typo?

A typo is one or two letters, this is just stupid.

Wait to see what answers it generates to see if it is such a stupid question

Wait to see what answers it generates to see if it is such a stupid question

Long ago I learned that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but stupid answers abound ;)

Jc

Yep, I got mine. Got to love the retro fold-in reply. Takes me back to my childhood pulling the things out of the Readers Digest to make a pile of letters to play postman.

Do them southerners make up nucs mid-March???

Last edited:
It's not beyond the realms of possibility to make increase early October or late March if queens are available (last year it was great in March). It's also possible to acquire bees in that timeframe, either buying them or even cut-outs. Statistically insignificant but possible. I bet they put it there because somebody complained a previous year.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to make increase early October or late March if queens are available (last year it was great in March). It's also possible to acquire bees in that timeframe, either buying them or even cut-outs. Statistically insignificant but possible. I bet they put it there because somebody complained a previous year.

Silly isles?,,,sorry typo meant Scilly Isles, with the snow in the channel isles i doubt any where made in their time scale

So glad I'm not the only one who thought this question a bit odd! :)

Probably not the only one

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20834

And of course all those folks who pinched other people's hives over the winter will also have made increase - perhaps this is a good way of catching them????

And from the website of somebody who send queens to UK:
"Our queens are available from late March till December"
Splits in late March with new queens are a great way to start the season round here, and I've managed to overwinter 30+ in mini nucs for that reason. There's always a proportion of parent hives strong enough for splitting at that time, weather permitting.

Last edited:
Why did you put that link to another thread in your post Chris B? I've missed something :hairpull:

Back