BBKA News Demaree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I read the article about swarm control with more than usual interest because of the description of Demaree. So it basically says that you put the queen and one frame of capped brood in a new box and leave the remainder of the brood in the original box. Then stack the boxes, separating the 2 brood boxes with 2 supers and a QX. If the new box with the queen and one old frame is on the bottom, it must be filled with drawn comb. If the new box with the queen and one old frame is on the top, it can be filled with drawn comb or foundation.
Why the difference please?

I read the article about swarm control with more than usual interest because of the description of Demaree. So it basically says that you put the queen and one frame of capped brood in a new box and leave the remainder of the brood in the original box. Then stack the boxes, separating the 2 brood boxes with 2 supers and a QX. If the new box with the queen and one old frame is on the bottom, it must be filled with drawn comb. If the new box with the queen and one old frame is on the top, it can be filled with drawn comb or foundation.
Why the difference please?

Because it's the BBKA. A totally cackhanded way to do it IMHO.
Put the queen in the bottom box - no need to fill it with drawn comb (the original Demarree says all foundation) I like to put the queen in with two or three frames of drawn comb so she has room to lay but the rest foundation. And it's also rubbish to say put her on a frame of capped brood - you just put her in on whatever frame you find her.
I never put the queen in the top box either, another recipe for a disaster.

Last edited:
Richard Ball wrote that article (remember him - former national Bee inspector).

I've tried them a few times with little success, may give it a whirl again.

Richard Ball wrote that article (remember him - former national Bee inspector).

Means not a jot - he obviously doesn't have much of a clue about the correct method of Demarree
I use the system almost exclusively both for swarm avoidance and making increase.
My uncle Brinley was a world renowned vet, carried two doctorates and enough letters after his name to make up a new alphabet. He didn't have a bloody clue how to milk a cow though, or shear a sheep - even though he was raised on a farm.
Unlike some I look past shiny badges and ridiculous titles and show respect where it's earned.

Last edited:
I've just read the article again, this time carefully, as I just skimmed it last time (I found my interest had waned first time when I realised the shiny paper would not do as a bogroll substitute) and I take it all back - it's not just cack handed it's total tripe. I've never heard such rubbish spoken about the Demarree method ever. and believe you me, in my job you get to hear a heck of a lot of rubbish spoken.
I'm afraid to read the rest.

It all seems upside down to me
No wonder beginners get into such a muddle.
I have Demareed a few 14x12s over the years and always left the queen in the bottom. I usually have a spare drawn frame down with the queen but the rest is undrawn I do find that foundation is better drawn in the top so when I move frames of brood up if there is room and the bees are slow drawing it out in the bottom I'll take a frame of foundation up as well

I've just read the article again, this time carefully, as I just skimmed it last time (I found my interest had waned first time when I realised the shiny paper would not do as a bogroll substitute) and I take it all back - it's not just cack handed it's total tripe. I've never heard such rubbish spoken about the Demarree method ever. and believe you me, in my job you get to hear a heck of a lot of rubbish spoken.
I'm afraid to read the rest.

Trust mine came in useful for toilet paper substitute!!!!
:)

Doesn’t demaree-ing tend to invite queen cells in the box away from the queen? Seems a really stupid idea to have to dismantle the queenie box to check the separated one. Just making more work and more risk and disruption to the queen and hive, compared to when one only needs to check the top box for queen cells. Some need to engage brain, if they have one, before spouting rubbish.

Latest posts

Back