BBKA Basic exam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really relevant for you Giles after your decades of beeking. Have just done 8 assessments and all passed. The weakest areas are always diseases followed by swarming.

Not quite that long but I’d probably fail.
I know I would.
I prepare the hives at the teaching apiary for the exams and listen to the questions. I think I would fall asleep during the questioning 😁

I do smile at some of the inane questions. I have to tread the bbka line, but does not stop me putting in my own comments and suggestions

A local beekeeper giving a talk at my association suggested that in future we should have a qualification before being allowed to have bees.
we've all known their type
And laughed at their pomposity and ineptness
It is the problem with beekeeping in the UK - an obsession with bits of pretty papers that mean SFA the basic is the only one worth anything at all as it gives a little bit of confidence to unsure beginners, but on the other hand - not having it is not the end of the world either.
Over the years I have seen a lot more competency, knowledge and skill in beekeepers who have no scraps of paper than in many who have reams.

Not really relevant for you Giles after your decades of beeking. Have just done 8 assessments and all passed. The weakest areas are always diseases followed by swarming.
My eldest son lives down your way and I usually visit once a year. Maybe I could book a test with you, in the hope of a lenient assessment?🤝

It's fair to say that the basic assessment is just that... you are not supposed to take it until you have kept bees for a year at least and you really have to be very bad to fail. Even I managed to pass... in the pouring rain, blowing a gale and after about 5 stings I asked the examiner if he really wanted.me to carry on as I would shut them down and start again another day... yes, he said... you've got this far so might as well see it through... I may have passed out of sympathy as I was the last test of the day. Very few people fail....

It's fair to say that the basic assessment is just that... you are not supposed to take it until you have kept bees for a year at least and you really have to be very bad to fail.

Agreed. I passed and it really wasn't strenuous, though that was about fifteen years ago so it may have changed since.

James

I took the BASIC in 2019. I found it a useful exercise in incentivising myself to read widely and give myself a good overall grounding in apiculture.

Ive taken lots of test/exams during my working lifetime. Compared to those the BASIC was quite fun - failing would have had no great consequences and only really mattered to me personally.
The on-line Module exams are a different matter - I did the Module 3 - "Pests, Diseases & Poisoning" as Ive never done an on-line test before - it wasn't fun; it felt more like a test of my typing prowess than my knowledge & understanding - I cant see doing any more like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back