Bailey or shook

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A lovely beekeeper has offered to donate his bees as he is unwell and needs to give up (for the time being hopefully)
They are on Commercial, and I want them to be on National.

First week April- would you do a Bailey or a Shook transfer to the new hives. Would the Commercial box unite with a National with no gaps if I Bailey.
They were treated for varroa in Sept but nil since. is a shook more sensible as i don't know state of possible brood infestation...

Your thoughts??

I am all for shook swarms most of the time if in doubt but if you know him to be a good bee keeper and the colony look healthy and building up nicely then go for a bailey change. The commercial chamber is 5mm wider and longer so you shouldn't have an issues placing one on top of the other although a I would still use a strap just in case.
:cheers2:

I am all for shook swarms most of the time if in doubt but if you know him to be a good bee keeper and the colony look healthy and building up nicely then go for a bailey change. The commercial chamber is 5mm wider and longer so you shouldn't have an issues placing one on top of the other although a I would still use a strap just in case.
:cheers2:

Shook or Bailey - make sure you traet with oxalic to ensure minimum mite level for this seaon!!!!!

If you're going to shook swarm (and I would in your case here) then try and do it mid-to-late April, not early April. It helps if the colony is stronger with a higher number of younger bees.

I like to ensure that mine are done before 1st May. It makes for excellent varroa control.

Can I ask when you do a shook swarm what do you do with all the larvae and capped brood in the old frames?

Heather,

Have you had a chance to inspect the colony yet and have you decided which option to go for and if so what swayed you?

Latest posts

Back