Bad Temper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange thing I noticed, I have a really bad tempered set of bees, excellant guard dog by the way. when I first inspected them, they went mental, atacked in wave formation. I could feel them hitting my legs through the jeans, just like someone throwing handful of barley at you.

After about 20 minutes they cooled off even though the hive was opened up fully, they seemed to give up when I did'nt go away. When I was finished there was no stings in the gloves or my smock even though they hit me very hard.

I did'nt really care as the clothing saved me and I continued on without taken any notice of them. I am not in no hurry to re-queen, the temper dose'nt bother me that much.

Does any one feel the same way?

Busy Bee

Normandie how close are your hives ? are you doing weekly inspections ?
A few minutes away - in a cider apple orchard. We've been inspecting them about every 10 - 12 days.

Edit:
Actually, that's not strictly true. We aim to visit every 10 - 12 days but the weather has been poor this spring and even sunny days have been chilly and windy so the visits haven't run to a neat schedule. The average time between visits is probably 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back