bad bee sting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debzbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello can anyone give me some advice...whilst with the bees today one got inside my hood and stung me and now I have a rather painful swelling around my neck...I've put bicarb of soda on but its still swelling and painful..

Patience, and it will go away - usually in a couple of days or so, perhaps much less. As long as it is not restricting your airway.....otherwise seek medical help.

Anti-histamines are the usual prescription for reducing the inflammation, but some of those have predictable side effects with some of us.

RAB

antihistamine

Put some antihistamine on it! Don't mess around with the bicarb . Ice cubes for numbing/swelling are good though.

Last edited:
ouch

Ice pack and antihistamine tablets worked for me but can be painful for a week if my hand was anythig to go by.:eek:

My little darlings stung me three times this weekend, and would have got me more if I'd hung around, they had a right bag on. The chemist sold me some HC45 cream which has soothed them no end.

... and don't panic if you get a painful lump behind the ear. On the two occasions when I got stung on the scalp, I got a swollen lymph node just behind the ear nearest the sting. It lasted several days and was quite tender to the touch. No permanent effect though: just my immune system doing its job, I suppose.

I got stung on the end of my finger today whilst checking for a queen at a friends Apiary. I found the queen and duly marked her.

Having marked the queen I was given a refreshing glass of orange juice and ice. My finger went straight into the glass, followed by an ice cube on my finger.

No problems twenty minutes later at his out apiary, the throbbing had gone.

I was stung three times today through my marigolds, I find that if you just carry on and don't pay too much attention to the stings they don't hurt too much after the initial 'sting'.

There is a spray that I use called anthisan. It is cooling when it goes on, it is quick and easy and works a treat!
E

Could be worse...

Hi,

Should have been more careful after reading your post but forgot to zip up my hood and one flew in. As I retreated to get it out, she stung on the nose!
Eeee that made my eyes water ;)

I guess I'll remember next time

M

Latest posts

Back