Back to Beekeeping again after 4 years and some questions ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I lost my 2 hives about 4 years ago in that cold winter and now I've got a Nuc on order for late May.
I've still got most of my equipment, but just have a couple of questions for the experts.

My old hives have had mice living in them, bits of mouldy foundation and old wax on the sides plus probably dead Varroa mites on the bottom board.

1. Is it safe to use these old hives and if so what's the best way to disinfect them.

2. I've got some foundation which looks ok but as it's old it's become a bit rigid. Is it ok to use it.

Many thanks

Assuming your hives are timber a good scrape and blow torch will clean them up just fine. And go over your old foundation with a warm hair dryer to revitalize the wax.

I lost my 2 hives about 4 years ago in that cold winter and now I've got a Nuc on order for late May.
I've still got most of my equipment, but just have a couple of questions for the experts.

My old hives have had mice living in them, bits of mouldy foundation and old wax on the sides plus probably dead Varroa mites on the bottom board.

1. Is it safe to use these old hives and if so what's the best way to disinfect them.

2. I've got some foundation which looks ok but as it's old it's become a bit rigid. Is it ok to use it.

Not an expert, but I hope I can help. (welcome to the forum and back to beekeeping, by the way!)

Beebase is the National Bee Unit website. The NBU comes under FERA and thus DEFRA.

Anyway, an important website.
There are downloadable (free) leaflets and fact sheets on many topics.

Those on "Hive Cleaning and Sterilisation" and "Second Hand Equipment" will have lots of good info. (You are going to need a blowtorch!)
The page of downloads is here => https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=167

You really should also download (from the same place) and carefully study the latest edition of "Managing Varroa". Its still very important, and underlies a lot of routine bee management.

There's lots of other good stuff on Beebase, but site navigation is confusing until you realise that the left hand menu changes depending what page you are on.
When you get bees, you should register your apiary on Beebase, not least so you can be kept informed in case of any local disease outbreaks.

Old foundation. It can be 'refreshed' by just gently warming it with a hairdryer until it smells nice. Best done flat, one sheet at a time ... :)

Ok thanks

I've got one of those paraffin flame guns for weed killing which I might try.

Gosh! That might be a bit severe, could reduce your return to beekeeping to a pile of ash in a short time.

Gas blowtorch is probably the best tool for the job.

Back